Polaris MSX 150 Turbo (Towed after losing power then stopping)

Hi,

I purchased my Polaris MSX 150 Turbo about 2 months ago hoping I would never have to become a member of Greenhulk, Knowing that if I did its most likely because i've broken my Jetski.

On the weekend my girl friend and I did a 100 km trip out to an island without any problems.

On the way back about 10 km from home the engine lost power and then stopped.

I was able to wave down a boat, which towed us back to land before having to contact anyone for help.

This morning i tried to start the ski (thinking i might have just over heated it on the long trip) and it would run for 5 secs really ruff then shut down, getting harder and harder to start.

I noticed alot of water coming from the exhaust when running.

Tonight i've been researching into the Polaris MSX 150 Turbo and found some information on Greenhulk that says the Polaris MSX 140 cant be towed unless shuting off a value to stop water from entering the exhaust system and possibly the engine.

Does anyone know if this is also the case for the Polaris MSX 150 Turbo? and if so what is the best way to go about checking for / revercing the damage?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

+1
    Welcome! The 150 is less susceptible to having water back feed into the engine when towed. And if it did get water in the cylinders, you probably would have hydrolocked the motor already. Water coming out the exhaust is normal. I would check your fuel for water, and pull your spark plugs and inspect.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtk View Post
    ... Polaris MSX 150 Turbo about 2 months ago hoping I would never have to become a member of Greenhulk, Knowing that if I did its most likely because i've broken my Jetski.

On the weekend my girl friend and I did a 100 km trip out to an island without any problems.

Welcome

Do you normally rode alone, with no other watercraft along as a riding buddy?

On any brand and age of watercraft, there is risk of something happening that prevents continued riding. Mechanical failure is always a possibility, but there are other possible reasons for needing another PWC or boat to assist. I always recommend riding with another watercraft or a small group.

I also recommend identifying and marking the cooling water hose that should be clamped or blocked off prior to any need for towing. On my own watercraft I have installed a plastic water valve inline in the 3/4" water feed hose, makes it easier and quick to prepare for towing. The water feed hose is located very low in the hull, down by the battery foam block in the rear right of the pump tunnel.

On the MSX models it is awkward to get access under the seat with a passenger on board, so they may have to get into the water or transfer to another boat. If a water cooling hose fails or comes off, the hull can flood fairly quickly even while not being towed. Backflooding the engine during towing is not the only reason to have a shut off valve in the water feed.

For similar reasons a bilge pump is also recommended, especially for riders who venture offshore. I have posted how my own MSX 140 was fitted with a bilge pump as have a few others. The MSX 150 installation would be similar.

Not sure why you felt that deferring membership in Greenhulk was better than joining right away.
    Much easier to ask questions and receive support.

Thanks HiPeRcO, I am going to pull the spark plugs today and inspect ... your right i dont think its hydrolocked and I might have got away with towing at this point.

I'm going to keep updating the post, so others can find my solution to the engine running ruff and stopping after 5 sec.

Thanks K447, I'm only new to the jetski thing and dont have friends with ski's yet.

I think that I might have been a little ambious doing this trip by myself but there was plenty of other ski's and boats going to / from the island so I didnt feel alone.

I am going to modify the cooling water hose today with a plastic water valve just in case future towing is required.

Thanks again for the advice and I will update the post with some pictures so others can see what that looks like

+1
    I would focus on the "no start" problem first

We should have also suggested a compression test as one of the first things to check, since you'll have the spark plugs out anyways. (Unplug the power to the fuel injectors before doing the test).

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kurtk View Post
    Thanks K447, I'm only new to the jetski thing and dont have friends with ski's yet.

I think that I might have been a little ambious doing this trip by myself but there was plenty of other ski's and boats going to / from the island so I didnt feel alone.

I am going to modify the cooling water hose today with a plastic water valve just in case future towing is required.

Thanks again for the advice and I will update the post with some pictures so others can see what that looks like
    Not sure where you're located, but I have SeaTow; they're like AAA for boats.

They saved my ski once and it's good peace of mind to know I can summon them with the app and they know exactly where I am.

+1
    Sounds like a shorted spark plug to me. Try new plugs first.

Thread Information