Just wanted to say hello from Staniel Key - yes from Miami...

Oh hi. Just wanted to say hello from Staniel Key Yacht Club. Left Miami.. Tuesday iirc? Stayed a couple days in Bimini and left Bimini yesterday morning and made South Allen Key Exumas before sunset. Slept on the beach in hammocks on our private little island/camping spot this morning and now enjoying a conch sammiche and Kalik after hanging out on Pig Beach for a couple hours. Planning on returning to Miami Thursday for the 24 hour drive home to Kansas City.

I'd love to hear more about your trip! We're scheduled for next July. Have fun!

+1
    Hi!

+1
    Got any videos of the journey? Post them if you do..

DG

We are in Nassau right now waiting for some good weather to come back. Once I get back home I will work on getting some videos uploaded. We got into some 4-6' white caps last night followed by some 6-8' rollers that were massive to us Missouri boys. My buddy had some good videos but unfortunately lost his gopro off his ski today on the way to Nassau. Sucks because without the video Noone is ever gonna believe or understand what we were riding in. I put on my snorkeling goggles and had to have been launching off the waves 5' into the air. Pretty gnarly. Ended up taking cover in Little Cistern Cay and getting eaten alive by mosquitos.

I have a bunch of photos on my FB also. Can't seem to get them uploaded onto here via phone. Feel free to add me and check them out. https://m.facebook.com/jonathan.bens...f&notif_t=like

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slow-roller View Post
    Sucks because without the video Noone is ever gonna believe or understand what we were riding in. I put on my snorkeling goggles and had to have been launching off the waves 5' into the air. Pretty gnarly.
    Oh I believe you. Last week all the way into Saturday was really nice ocean conditions (but could see storms over Bahamas on Saturday), then this past Sunday was completely different...ocean turned ugly. We weren't in the Gulf-stream yet we cut our ocean riding (coastline) off because of the slop conditions.

This shows how quickly things can change.

FYI: Looks like Wednesday and Thursday will be the best days for a return. I would not advise you return this coming Sat/Sun because of winds!!

Thanks for the advice. We made it to Andros from Nassau and the Tongue was like glass. Got into Andros and checked weather again. It was iffy. Figured we'd give it a shot. Ended up riding 25 miles towards Bimini and turning back. It was white capping and tossing us around and only getting worse. And we weren't near far enough ahead of the storm to make it. Looking at the radar right now, Miami and Bimini are getting plenty of it tomorrow doesn't look great either. Thursday looks awesome from what we see. Will recheck tonight and decide whether we think we can make an early morning crossing to
    Bimini. We were pretty spoiled getting down to the Exumas. But once we were down there, mother nature seems to be wanting to keep us.

BTW, to anyone interested, Andros is the coolest place we've found so far. Laid back, down to earth, humble people. Nassau was pretty OK, but Andros feels like you're out in the country. Small town vibe for sure and very friendly hospitable people. Wouldn't mind spending some time here.

I updated the album if anyone would like to check out the pics from our trip.

https://www.facebook.com/jonathan.be...0760154&type=3

+1
    would like to but says link broken... (also, make it public)

BTW: You said you slept on the beach, I thought they were strict about no camping or stuff like that on the islands.

11. +1 by:

Thread Information