Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heavy duty fishing bait tank, storage, rod holder, and power supply

Ok so a couple years ago i started this and never finished because of cancer. Im good to go now and i've finished so i thought id share my idea with everyone.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160922_162851.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	399585

Name:	20160922_162915.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	55.6 KB 
ID:	399586

Name:	20160922_162929.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	399587

Name:	20160922_162939.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	399588

Name:	20160922_162952.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	399589

Name:	20160922_163046.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	399590

Name:	20160922_163121.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	399591

Name:	20160922_163136.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	399592

Name:	20160922_163303.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	43.0 KB 
ID:	399593

Name:	20160922_163315.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	51.5 KB 
ID:	399594

Im open to hearing sugestions on modification or add in your ideas

+1
    Very cool. Thanks for sharing!

Can you elaborate on how the live bait tank plumbing works, the modes, that timer box, recycle verses external water circulations?

Its pretty simple. I started with a 50qt rotomolded yukon cooler made by igloo. I get them for like $150 from the factory. Then welded some angle to the ammo cans (waterproof storage) and bolted to the side of the cooler. Atop one ammo sits a solar pannel that maintains the 12 volt deer feeder battery, the battery is connected to a bait timer with selections of off, on, 1 min then on for 30 sec, or 5 min and on for 30 sec. Its houses in an electrical box from lowes. The plumbing from the electrical box to cooler is a flex line found in sprinkler section of lowes. It only protects the wires from box to cooler. Cooler contains a 500 gph bilge pump that pumps water to the pvcpipe that has lots of tiny holes to spray water for areation. There is no fresh water input. Tank must be manually filled but can br drained with large drain plug. A led strip is also wired and glued and zip tied to pvc in cooler. The electrical box containing the bait switch also houses a 12volt outlet for fishing light, stern light, spot light, phone charger, or whatever. The other ammo can is bolted to the cooler the same way and has a cutting board bolted to its lid. I use this ammo can to store my cast net and it works great. There is also a knof holder and lure organizer bolted to side of ammo can. The boxes ontop are made by dewalt. The bottom one is bolted to the lid of the cooler and the lid if that organizer is bolted to the bottom of the organizer above it and so fourth. I used para cord to "check" the organizer boxes and cooler lid from opening too much. Mounted on the angle iron behind ammo cans are 3 stainless pipes for each side to serve as rod holders. The cooler is secured to ski using an eye bolt attached to cooler and a turnbuckle to the tow piont of ski. The rear of the cooler is secured to eack tie down loop on ski using ratchet strap. System is secure and rides well. Expensive to make but can be used for surf fishing from pick up truck, mounted on a atv for backwoods lakes and ponds. Also fits on pontoon boats really good. In my opinion it was worth building. Let me know if you have any ideas for additional features.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ryntipton View Post
    Its pretty simple. I started with a 50qt rotomolded yukon cooler made by igloo. I get them for like $150 from the factory. Then welded some angle to the ammo cans (waterproof storage) and bolted to the side of the cooler. Atop one ammo sits a solar pannel that maintains the 12 volt deer feeder battery, the battery is connected to a bait timer with selections of off, on, 1 min then on for 30 sec, or 5 min and on for 30 sec. Its houses in an electrical box from lowes. The plumbing from the electrical box to cooler is a flex line found in sprinkler section of lowes. It only protects the wires from box to cooler. Cooler contains a 500 gph bilge pump that pumps water to the pvcpipe that has lots of tiny holes to spray water for areation. There is no fresh water input. Tank must be manually filled but can br drained with large drain plug. A led strip is also wired and glued and zip tied to pvc in cooler. The electrical box containing the bait switch also houses a 12volt outlet for fishing light, stern light, spot light, phone charger, or whatever. The other ammo can is bolted to the cooler the same way and has a cutting board bolted to its lid. I use this ammo can to store my cast net and it works great. There is also a knof holder and lure organizer bolted to side of ammo can. The boxes ontop are made by dewalt. The bottom one is bolted to the lid of the cooler and the lid if that organizer is bolted to the bottom of the organizer above it and so fourth. I used para cord to "check" the organizer boxes and cooler lid from opening too much. Mounted on the angle iron behind ammo cans are 3 stainless pipes for each side to serve as rod holders. The cooler is secured to ski using an eye bolt attached to cooler and a turnbuckle to the tow piont of ski. The rear of the cooler is secured to eack tie down loop on ski using ratchet strap. System is secure and rides well. Expensive to make but can be used for surf fishing from pick up truck, mounted on a atv for backwoods lakes and ponds. Also fits on pontoon boats really good. In my opinion it was worth building. Let me know if you have any ideas for additional features.
    The racks are a neat idea but how the hell would you reboard the ski if you ever fell into the water?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan_Joe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ryntipton View Post
    The racks are a neat idea but how the hell would you reboard the ski if you ever fell into the water?
    You mean you dont wear your jetski seatbelt when riding?!

Just climb on from the side! Maybe the pwc industry could come out with a retractable and removable paracord ladder that bolted to the side of the ski? My neiboor does all that braiding and knot tieing. Maybe he could make me a rope ladder! Anyone have an idea for this problem. I mean side boarding is possible, just kinda sucks lol

+1
    How do you re-board the ski from the side ?? Well, we have an App for . . . I mean . . . a youtube vid for that ! Not me - but thought this is applicable :

Recreationally, I think repeated re-boarding is expected in the sport, thus the rear deck offers less way less fatigue, more stable. However, when utilizing the craft for fishing, a more conservative operation/riding is implied, there is gear of value, gear that can break, get lost, and possible injure the operator . . . hopefully resulting in way less net saddle ejection. Yet crap does and will happen on the waters, hopefully just a learning-curve that will result in less off's, but it's nice to know side boarding can be done and not that much a mystery.

Ryntipton – thanks for the explanation of your live well setup. I have plans drafted for something similar, although I plan to have an internal circulation/aeration pump, along with and external pump I can switch on to change-out the water when the open ocean water is clean. I might even redirect some of my jetpump “pisser” (yamaha's) on-demand so I could potentially swap water while transiting to sites. If/when I get to this project, I'll post it up for sure.

Using the yamahas pisser is a good idea, ive heard of some people doing it. But i run a 2003 seadoo gtx 185. They dont have water spouts. Additionally, using the water spout issolates it to your ski. Cant take on atv, truck, or if one wanted to swap brand of skis. You could always build another one but with the cooler i have over $500 invested with labor. To each their own though. I thought of resorculating the water but then realized a fish tank doesnt recirculate and thought id just mimic a fish tank

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information