Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reset button (circuit breaker) trips when engine is revved up; 2000 Genesis i Ficht

Riding my ski in the water and it died. I had to swim it back to the dock luckily it happened in the no wake ramp. Inspected to find the reset electrical system tripped. Reset it and the ski starts fine. As soon as i hit the throttle the button trips again. If i just let it idle it wont trip. Any thoughts?
    Last edited by K447; 09-22-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Reset button is actually a circuit breaker. It is tripping either due to the breaker itself going bad or there is a short circuit in the electrical system that is triggered when the engine revs up.

What model and year is this machine?

If it has a red carburetor engine, has the ignition system been updated or original?

It is a 2000 genesis 1200 ficht. It is the top button. The sticker that says electrical isnt placed perfectly and looks to be leaning towards the bottom button.

I also replaced the fuel pump and put new fuel injection lines on it. It starts right back up after i reset it. I am running on the hose and if i let it just idle it will pop after about 2 minutes. Could it be fuel pressure? The regulator fell off months ago and i did that fix from your thread about it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by baseball0413 View Post
    I also replaced the fuel pump and put new fuel injection lines on it. It starts right back up after i reset it. I am running on the hose and if i let it just idle it will pop after about 2 minutes. Could it be fuel pressure?

The regulator fell off months ago and i did that fix from your thread about it.
    This is a Ficht fuel injected engine, correct?

Which model and year?

There are two Reset buttons. One for the fuel pump, the other for almost everything else. Which one is tripping?

Do both have the clear plastic dome to keep water out of the breaker?

Yes 2000 polaris genesis 1200 ficht. The top button is tripping and both clear domes are tight with no cracks

+1
    Yes 2000 polaris genesis 1200 ficht. The top button is tripping and both clear domes are tight with no cracks
    When the single breaker trips, what loses power?

I havent tested anything. I took notice that it runs after it trips but slowly dies out and shuts off.

I havent tested anything. I took notice that it runs after it trips but slowly dies out and shuts off.
    Just started back up. Nothing goes out on the dash at all. I have reverse. This time it didnt die out just tripped the breaker. Turned it off and let it sit 30 seconds. Started right back up even with it tripped.

+1
    Just started back up. Nothing goes out on the dash at all. I have reverse. This time it didnt die out just tripped the breaker. Turned it off and let it sit 30 seconds. Started right back up even with it tripped.
    Sounds like the fuel pump breakeris the one that is tripping.

There will be residual fuel sitting in the fuel hoses and fuel injectors so the engine can run for a short time period without the fuel pump running. Not good for the engine or the injectors, of course.

The other circuit breaker feeds the MFI dash display, and the Bilge pump, among other things. If the Bilge pump still runs when you press the Bilge button then the main circuit breaker is probably ok.

For the fuel pump breaker, it is possible the breaker is failing. Sometimes the plastic body cracks where the threaded neck meets the breaker body. Sometimes water somehow gets inside an corrodes the breaker.

The factory breaker is 5 amp rated, IIRC. I think there was a service bulletin regarding replacing the 5 amp with a 15 amp breaker, same rating as the main breaker beside it. This was to be done when the 5 amp breaker was tripping but the fuel pump was not drawing excessive current.

I suggest extracting the fuel pump breaker for inspection and possible replacement. See my signature links, in the Parts Sources section, for places that sell the 15 amp circuit breakers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information