Virage TX 1200 plug color question

Before doing a plug chop how long does it usually take for new plugs to get an accurate color how long will you need to run it 10 minutes 30 minutes an hour or what

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Many of us prefer to use piston wash pattern rather than spark plug coloration.

Piston wash pattern can take a while to clearly form, but often an early reading is visible with only an hour or two of riding time. One advantage of piston wash is that it changes slowly, so cruising back to the dock does not instantly 'erase' the pattern.

Piston wash pattern is almost a direct visual mapping of the piston dome surface temperatures so you can see if the piston is too hot in the middle (flat black carbon color) or has large cool areas (clean metal color) near the ports.

Spark plug reading requires pulling the lanyard while running at wide open throttle, then getting back to the dock somehow without restarting the engine. Or trying to remove spark plugs while bobbing around on the lake.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Many of us prefer to use piston wash pattern rather than spark plug coloration.

Piston wash pattern can take a while to clearly form, but often an early reading is visible with only an hour or two of riding time. One advantage of piston wash is that it changes slowly, so cruising back to the dock does not instantly 'erase' the pattern.

Piston wash pattern is almost a direct visual mapping of the piston dome surface temperatures so you can see if the piston is too hot in the middle (flat black carbon color) or has large cool areas (clean metal color) near the ports.

Spark plug reading requires pulling the lanyard while running at wide open throttle, then getting back to the dock somehow without restarting the engine. Or trying to remove spark plugs while bobbing around on the lake.
    The way I usually plug chop is run it on the trailer backed in the water I run it about 6,000 rpm for about 1 and a half minutes and kill the engine also did you see my follow up post on the over heating issue on the virage I also readjusted the carbs and got the hesitation out of the ski I had used the virage adjustment not the tx the virage was 3/4 turn and the tx was 1 1/8 turn quite a difference thanks for your commitment on this forum

Thread Information