+1

2013 VXR holeshot cavitation with R&D grate

Mods are R&D power filter, Riva ribbon delete, and TJ's exhaust mod. These did wake up the engine and no noticeable cavitation with stock grate. Installed a R&D Aquavein grate with the seals and sealed everything else with Permatex Right Stuff. Cleaned off any residue everywhere that squeezed out. Stock impeller is like new, 80 hours on ski, with clearance within factory specs. Cavitates pretty bad on holeshot until around 5-6mph. No cavitation noticeable when full throttle hit from 5-6mph. Rough water handling is better as is turning and gained 1-1.5 on top speed. Probably old school for most of you but still learning and reading posts. Is a Solas 13-19 impeller my next purchase to stop the cavitation? Thank you for any advice.

+1
    Not a direct answer but have you read through Bruce's VXS thread ? He did extensive testing on this platform with grates/plates/props/DIY mods etc..

A must read by anyone with a 2011-2014 VXR/S

RIP BRUCE .. MISS YA BUDDY!

+1

+1
    Thank you for the link. This post I didn't find. I guess no easy answer after reading. I'm normally in rough water and the R&D grate helps. The extra speed was just a plus.

Sorry for the loss of your friend.

+1
    Here's a quote from post #148 where they're talking about grates.. it's really just a bunch of trial and error and see what work best with your mods/riding style

Quote Originally Posted by Charliefppower View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1200 stx-r View Post
    so i finally get to ride the ski and....... first thing i get it in the water and start pulling away from the dock and all is good, then the full set of bars for fuel goes to 2 bars and withing minutes fuel warning comes on with .1 hours on ski? WTF? the dealership got a pleasant call !!!!!!!! ok now its gassed up and i do all required breakins in manual. then i start to get on it- and captain cavitation decides to be my co-pilot !! holy crap does this thing cavitate huge out of the hole !!! runs real smooth once out of the hole and speaking of smooth does this thing skate through a turn or what ! freeflow drone is nice. i need to get a new impeller and my stocker repitched. i will be sending it to dave at impros within the next week after i get a new one from him. overall not a bad ski but i seriously need to remedy the cavitation. haven't ran it all out yet but because of cavitation at high rpm's also i think i am bouncing off the rev limiter? not sure what it is set too? so the only questions i need an answers to is how to solve cavitation problem and skating through the turns? -impeller and cone and spnsons??? thanks for the help. Bruce
    Gotta get one of the other grates. I've had all 3 of the R&Ds and the 3 bar cavitated so badly I went back to the beefed up original grate, and it was all the difference in the world. I know you got it modified, but I don't see how it can help that much. I've got all the bolt on performance stuff and a stage 3 reflash and have minimal cavitation with the beefed up original R&D grate. Hope this helps bud!

+1
    I ran the R&D grate and ended up returning to stock. I have the usual VXR mods and i suffer next to no cavataion. I'am running a solas 13/19 prop thou

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FPV TRANNY View Post
    I ran the R&D grate and ended up returning to stock. I have the usual VXR mods and i suffer next to no cavataion. I'am running a solas 13/19 prop thou
    Thanks for the reply and your info. My stock grate is back on now and my season is coming to an end here. Will try the Solas for next year. Might as well learn how to change an impeller. The R&D grate might end up a paper weight.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Erierunner View Post
    Mods are R&D power filter, Riva ribbon delete, and TJ's exhaust mod. These did wake up the engine and no noticeable cavitation with stock grate. Installed a R&D Aquavein grate with the seals and sealed everything else with Permatex Right Stuff. Cleaned off any residue everywhere that squeezed out. Stock impeller is like new, 80 hours on ski, with clearance within factory specs. Cavitates pretty bad on holeshot until around 5-6mph. No cavitation noticeable when full throttle hit from 5-6mph. Rough water handling is better as is turning and gained 1-1.5 on top speed. Probably old school for most of you but still learning and reading posts. Is a Solas 13-19 impeller my next purchase to stop the cavitation? Thank you for any advice.
    I had the exact same problem, though I doubt it's got anything to do with getting up to 5-6 mph so much as time. I installed the Aquavein on an otherwise stock ski and didn't notice it, but once I did the ribbon delete and upgraded air filter on the stock airbox I was spinning out at a full throttle hit. I went to a Solas 13-19 and it took care of it 100%. Not entirely sure why, but that was my experience. I would *think* that the condition of the impeller would become an exponentially more important issue at higher rpms, and of course the Solas prop is designed to take that next level of rpms better than stock, so that extra 50-100 rpms could be just too much for stock.

+1
    I played with the full throttle hit and if done from at least 5-6mph, it will just take off and can't notice any cavitation. I figured it was the pump being fed with the forward movement or it could have been that the rpms were @2,500 before the full throttle hit. I'll try a Solas next year and give the R&D another try. It did keep the ski hooked up nice in rough water which is what I was looking for. Thank you for your experience and I hope for the same results.

Thread Information