Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    My friend Rob (aka MacGruber) just picked up a SHO and is planning to transplant the motor into a SUV. Should be a cool build.

My hull must be a 99 model older shape, is there any difference with mounting?

+1
    The distance between the mounts on the 800 motor is a little less, but the width is the same. Best first step is to figure out what pump setup you want--stock 800 or VX, and then dry fit the motor w/mounts on. Depending on the motor (VX or FXHO) you'll probably need a new prop.

-Greg

+1
    Decided to put this ski up for sale, if anyone is interested.

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/6021570289.html

-Greg

+1
    Greg, I ended up doing a build exactly like yours and rode it for the first time today. My impeller/wear ring clearance is pretty bad and needs replacement so I was wondering if you could share the best impeller for top speed you found to work for you?

+1
    I had both a stock VX prop and a Solas 18/22, and both seemed to be about the same top speed. Hole shot with the Solas was better.

-Greg

i think is another thread here arround with fx ho engine in gpr, also i would have mooved the engine as back as possible - in gp hull is easy to move the metal threaded plates under the mounts

+1
    One update here. Use the GP/XLT800R waterbox and waterbox-to-resonator hose (you can pick them up on eBay). The 800 has a 2.5" nipple and does not require welding.

I have a 2002 GP1200R and a donor 2012 VX110 and want to do the same build, but have many questions..

1. The fxho 2" spacer, Im unfamiliar with this part....is this a common pump part? do you have a Yamaha part#?

2. Which mid wall did you use? the one in the GP or did you use one from a 2010+ VX?

3. The mid wall on the 2010+ VX us where the computer, rectifier and so on are mounted. The 2009 VX was on the side of the motor, Im assuming you left the electronics in place on the side of the motor?

4. Fuel tank - I have not had a good look at the GP tank yet, but it appears to have a fuel and oil tank. Did you utilize the GP tank or use the VX fuel tank?

Thanks In Advanced for any advise and direction, I have bene wanting to do this swap for a while. I grabbed a pristine GP1200R on a trailer for $400 w/blown motor. I picked up a 2012 VX110 with under 200hrs with a badly beaten hull on a trailer for $400 that needed a wire harness and it runs.

It's rumored that the GP hull is 8-10mph faster than the VX hull...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ocsteveo2003 View Post
    I have a 2002 GP1200R and a donor 2012 VX110 and want to do the same build, but have many questions..

1. The fxho 2" spacer, Im unfamiliar with this part....is this a common pump part? do you have a Yamaha part#?

2. Which mid wall did you use? the one in the GP or did you use one from a 2010+ VX?

3. The mid wall on the 2010+ VX us where the computer, rectifier and so on are mounted. The 2009 VX was on the side of the motor, Im assuming you left the electronics in place on the side of the motor?

4. Fuel tank - I have not had a good look at the GP tank yet, but it appears to have a fuel and oil tank. Did you utilize the GP tank or use the VX fuel tank?

Thanks In Advanced for any advise and direction, I have bene wanting to do this swap for a while. I grabbed a pristine GP1200R on a trailer for $400 w/blown motor. I picked up a 2012 VX110 with under 200hrs with a badly beaten hull on a trailer for $400 that needed a wire harness and it runs.

It's rumored that the GP hull is 8-10mph faster than the VX hull...
    I'll do the best I can to answer.

1. https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...0E-51317-00-94. They were used on FXs and GP1300Rs. You can find on eBay for $50-$75, but that is the easy part. Harder is finding the set of pump bolts that go with the pump extension. Seems like the eBay sellers don't realize those bolts are nearly impossible to find otherwise. If you can find someone parting an FX that may be a better route.

Contact Rich at WFO for 2" cable extensions.

2. 2010+ VX

3. Yes, the pre-2010 VXs with the computer on the side is a bit easier to deal with. However, you should be able mount the 2010+ e-box to the mid-wall. Just dry fit to make sure it clears the oil tank. I did this on a recent XLT/VX conversion.

4. The VX tank is too wide. Use a GP1300R tank which is already fitted with the correct fuel sender and filler hose. Plug and play.

Regarding speed, I have not seen a big difference from a stock VX. I would expect low 50s with a pump in top condition and the motor reaching redline.

-Greg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information