Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by swlamarshrunner View Post
    That's awesome that you didn't even need any kind of special plates to adapt the engine. Did the stock vx110 pump also just bolt right in or any mods needed to make it fit?
    That's right, no modifications. Everything just bolts right in. Once I figured it all out, a super easy conversion, and should be a very reliable GPR that can go 100+ miles on a tank. I still have to water test, and hoping the stock 18/22 VX impeller is the right pitch. It's the impeller that came with the VX and has a few dings, but not too bad of shape, and I did put in a new wear ring. Figure I'd try that first.

After talking to Rich/WFO yesterday, I will probably put on an aftermarket grate for safety, but only if I can hit 63+ mph. Honestly I'll be happy to hit 60 and leave it as-is for now. 63-65 is pretty close to a bone stock 2-stroke GPR, but far, far more reliable.

I can see this being an easy 4-stroke conversion instead of spending the $$$ rebuilding the stock 66V 2-stroke. If you watch Craigslist, you can pickup decent VXs for $2500 or less.

Ready to move on and get my Kawi 15F back on the water.

+1
    Following! Awesome thread, thanks for posting! I just recently was gifted a 2000 GPR from a cousin. I think it has a bad cylinder, not sure 'cause I haven't picked it up yet. I already own a nice running GP1200 so this build intrigues me. I would love to have a 4 stroke engine in a smaller ski like the GPR...seems like the best of both worlds to me. Please update with performance info as soon as you have had it out on the water and have a chance.

Nice work!

Tim

+1
    Runs and rides great, but could only hit 53 mph (basically like a stock VX). I am planning on getting a new Solas prop and pitching it down to 18/24. I'm also having a problem getting the nose out of the water--got to work on trim and the ride plate. Will let you know progress.

+1
    Got a new Solas 18/22 prop, and new wear ring. Still low 50s, but a heck of a good holeshot. Really handles well. Calling bunk on it ever getting close to 60 with 110 hp, 8000 RPM and the reduction gear.

Still a great easy build and a reliable GPR that starts instantly even after sitting for a week. I would not hesitate to take this on our 130+ mile river runs (just need to figure out how to carry extra fuel).

My son has two speeds: full throttle and no throttle! Should I be worried about future builds?

Looks good.... does that mean a SHO conversion would also be easy for you to work on ?

+1
    Try shimming down the trim tabs with 3mm thick washers for some extra speed . Play with the ride plate too by angling it up at the rear . You would be surprised by the speed that's easy to get .

+1
    shimming the tabs down is for stability, not speed.

+1
    Yeah, I know I could get an R&D ride plate and have Rich (WFO) modify it and pick-up a few mph, but at the expense of handling. I'll probably put some 3mm washers on the front of the stock ride plate this weekend. But overall, I'll just ride it for a while as-is.

@GP133, yes but an FX160 motor should really liven things up; you can pick those up pretty reasonably.

+1
    I just picked up another VX for my other SUV conversion. Should be starting on that soon.

Quote Originally Posted by boudin View Post

@GP133, yes but an FX160 motor should really liven things up; you can pick those up pretty reasonably.
    Damn man thats badass... it would be interesting to see one of those tuned on nitrous or built with turbo kit and a boat propeller out back as a lake ski.

I understand your goals tough it would make for a nice and reliable fuel efficient ski as is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information