Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Kawi 1100 Waveblaster 1 Build (pic heavy)

Been wanting to build a triple blaster for a little over a year now and constantly searching for the right deal on a donor ski. At the last race of the year, I rode my friends kawi 1100 b1 and thats all it took for me to know I needed one! Finally bought a pair of STX 1100's with one running and pretty clean and the other needing a top end rebuild that I will use for parts.

Will pretty much be an open spec ski with a dry pipe, timing plate + jumper, mikuni 44's and planning to get a billet head with 150-160-psi. I've got alot done but I still need to paint the top deck, install gas tank, secure rear battery box and get a few other misc parts for it. Here's some pics from when I first brought it home to current condition. Hoping to ride it very soon!

Way back when I first brought it home and hadn't ridden it yet

Put some time on it as a 701 before buying another 701 Blaster and building that as a spec ski

Pretty nasty!

Stripping it all down

Washed out the dirt and grime with simple green

Defoamed the rear... that sucked!

Sanded a little bit by hand before realizing I would need an orbital sander to save some time. The hull had been painted blue and then spray painted black by the previous owner so I had alot of sanding to do.

Bottom had some rough spots that I filled with 3m marine filler

More sanding

First coat of primer on hood

First coat of Interlux Prekote primer on hull

First coat of Interlux brightside one stage paint on hull

One coat

I still need to paint the top deck. Hoping to get that done before the weekend when I test ride

Good tips on the forum for drying out the kawi pipe. Got all the fittings in. Was alot less complicated than I originally thought

Test fitting the used raddudes bedplate I got with the spare bottom end I have.

Pulling donor engine

Cleaned up well

Installed the Kommander blockoff

Got the exhaust mani drilled, tapped and fittings installed

A few goodies from Blowsion

2 coats of Interlux bilgekote with a paintbrush. Really like how it turned out.... must be self leveling because it is very slick in there

Decided to paint engine & exhaust black with some high heat engine paint

Had some stainless piping left over from building some turbo piping on my big ski so I made my own waterbox to save some $. Ordered a 60* silicone coupler instead of a 45* so I can have a little more upward angle on my piping to prevent water from backflooding into the waterbox. Will be paired up with a 3" thru hull from Extreem Throttle.

RHAAS carb adapter plate to fit Mikuni 44's with port matched intake manifold

A shot of the waterbox inside the ski before trimming the ends to fit

Got alot of work done this past Saturday. Mounted a new midshaft from Jetmaniac, installed/aligned/shimmed engine, installed exhaust & cooling lines, put on some MSD terminals, rebuilt & mounted carbs, set throttle cable mount & throttle wheel

Shortened & deleted a bunch of wires and put on some fancy e-box blockoffs..... cost about 15cents

Thank you Chris at Jetmaniac for getting the midshaft housing out to me so quick. He even installed and greased bearings as a courtesy.... something I didn't even ask for. That goes a long way in my book!

Exhaust piping all routed, just waiting on that thru hull!

Took the oem battery box off of the STX donor ski and I will be mounting a new AGM battery from advanced auto parts in there. BTW, if anyone needs a new battery, "TRT30" will get you 30% off online orders at Advanced Auto Parts.

Hooked up the fuel line last night

+1

Thumbs up nice....

Luv It...!!

subscribed..

+1
    Got the tank in and fuel lines hooked up yesterday. Poured a little gas in the carbs to fire it so I could double check my wiring and all was good. I also got my double scoop rideplate in.... I need to get some different style bolts for the plate though.

African-American
    +1
    I'm curios why you went for a 1100 Kawasaki engine and not a Yamaha GP1200 engine ?

+1
    I have a couple of friends that have each and after riding both, I just like the Kawasaki better. Stock for stock the yamaha has more power but with the dry pipe & 9* timing advance, the kawi is pretty even with the yamaha 1200. The kawi also has flat top pistons. The exhaust on the 1200 is huge too. They are both great engines but I just prefer the Kawi. That dry pipe sound is awesome too

+1
    Nice build. That sucker is going to be SO loud. Bought my ZXi in '02 with a straight pipe on it, you could hear me a mile away. Sounded like an Indy car out there on the water when on plane. Went back to stock waterbox as it was just too much for my rec riding.

+1
    Oh yeah, it was loud when I fired it up yesterday but that design is pretty standard on blaster conversions... most have a 4.5-6" waterbox shell vs 3.5" like I have though. Some take a waveraider waterbox which has a very similar shape and shorten it to fit/drill some holes in the baffles. I'll mostly be riding it on a closed course for practice and racing though

8. +1 by:

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by swlamarshrunner View Post
    Oh yeah, it was loud when I fired it up yesterday but that design is pretty standard on blaster conversions... most have a 4.5-6" waterbox shell vs 3.5" like I have though. Some take a waveraider waterbox which has a very similar shape and shorten it to fit/drill some holes in the baffles...
    Do you have baffles inside that waterbox/pipe?

+1
    No baffles

+1
    Love the build man!!! Awesome!!!!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information