Back to 98 STX 1100 and now 2001 STX 900 cooling quetion?

Things seem to be catchy when it comes to water toys and now my friend and his wife picked up a set of 01' STX 900's. Short of the story is we did the oil pump removal kits on both of these and took all 3 ski's out to river. Well we get to looking and one of the 900's has the best water flow out of the side pisser tube I've ever seen even at idle and my 98 1100 and the other 900 just has a solid water flow but not much pressure. Then when we all pull the go fast trigger the one 900 just has a super solid stream straight back the ski while the other 2 1100/900 has spray but compared to the good 900 water flow we don't even compare.

Well as it goes the less water out pisser ski just stopped completely so we trailered them and called it a day. I pulled off the line to the pisser tube and blew through it and it was clear. He took it home and hooked water hose up to flush and some foam come out and little spits and sputters of water. would this more than likely be salt / corrosion? I have a parts ski for mine and looked at the cooling and how it flows and man that's a lot of clog to the entire engine to stop the flow. We are going to get a jug of Salt Away and flush the less flow ski's to see if it clears this up. But can I / we take the exhaust manifolds off and check for what's stopping water flow pretty easy or is there something else to check?

Also how hot is the water coming out of pisser tube supposed to be? I can hold my foot in the stream and it's pretty warm on the 1100 at wide open throttle to where you only can keep it there 6-10 seconds before I have to pull my foot away. Seems to me in cold river water it should be a lot cooler than this.

Thanks in advance for any info.

+1

Back to 98 STX 1100 and now 2001 STX 900 cooling quetion?

You description of the temp seems correct.

Start at the pump looking for an obstruction, as one member found a rock stuck in the through hull fitting after removing the 90* hose back there. I also think you may have an obstruction on the discharge of the ski with real high pisser flow, which is forcing all the discharge water out the pisser.

Found it! The cooling system on these 2 strolks baffle the hell out of me. The 900 STX ended up having beach sand that clogged the cooling purge line that went to the through hole fitting that is above jet pump. I showed a pic of this in a earlier post wondering what it was for. What baffles me is there are 2 other ways for water to go out. 1- the side piss tube and 2 the actual exhaust that goes into water. But yet that one clogged line stopped all operation of the rest .... Confusing but it is what it is.

+1
    That is the main discharge for the cooling system. The pisser on the side and the water coming out with the exhaust are from very small holes and can't keep up with the heat being generated.

Glad you found it.

Thread Information