stx15 fuel tank?

Hi new to the forum but not to jetski's
    I had a couple of stand up's in the 90's along with a nice X4
    Got myself a new ski last weekend a 2005 Kawasaki STX15F
    So first run out today for my new ski

Took it to my local lake for a shakedown and water test to see how things went
    Well, the ski runs very well, pulls great, good top speed and corners like its on rails
    A few issues:
    I knew that the mode button didn't work as the last owner said the button was broken. I don't think the button is broken more so the display isn't working correctly.
    so on start up the display goes through it motions no problem.
    The clock works
    the rev counter works
    the overheat light works - my bad run it up on the hose last week and didn't turn the tap on enough!!
    fuel gauge doesn't work
    speed doesn't work
    mode button doesn't work
    ok I can live without a speedo but fuel guage would be nice, this brings me to my next issue
    So I went to the garage to fill the ski up and I brimmed it to the top £25.00 = 21 litres - I was surprised as I thought it would take more

anyway used the ski for an hour and half or so nearly constant use, brought it in for a little rest and when I went to start up again it wouldn't start

checked the usual suspects plugs, coil wires etc and then looked at the fuel tank. couldn't see any liquid sloshing about so I guessed it was empty.

Stuck a tenner of fuel in on the way home and she fired up straight away.

So I checks the manual and technical specs and it states the fuel tank is 17.7 US gallon - I reckon thats about 65 litres

In reality I only got around 25 litres in and I think the tank was pretty empty before I started, even with £10 in it looks nearly full.

So anyone know what could be the issue? the tank doesn't look like it will hold 17 gallons even though it is stamped on the tank itself.

BTW it is a kawasaki STX-15 2005
    Need to fix the display as well

pic of the ski

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Is it possible the fuel tank venting is not working properly and the fuel tank has been partially collapsed inwards by air vacuum?

You may want to inspect inside the fuel tank.

+1
    could be the temp sensor do a search or pour cool water on the exhaust temp sensor next time and see if it fires up!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Is it possible the fuel tank venting is not working properly and the fuel tank has been partially collapsed inwards by air vacuum?

You may want to inspect inside the fuel tank.
    ok so checked the tank vent. I can blow though it one way although it is very restrictive and not the other way so it is working as a one way valve. not sure if it should be easier to blow through or not

I drained the fuel tank to check the contents and pulled out 60 litres of fuel so all good.

pulled the fuel pump out and checked it out. fuel screen is clean as a whistle

fuel sender working ok now so the fuel gauge on the display is working.

Fire the ski up a couple of times and it started on the button.

Took a little while to start after refitting the fuel pump and lines as you would expect as the fuel line had prime itself.

so the not starting issue remains unsolved. I will have to take it out again for a full test and see how it perfroms

Whilst I was in the mood I puled the battery to get at the speed sensor cables. Powered them up as per manual and tested at low speed 0v to 12v all good and at high speed with compressed air 5v showing

So the sensor and cables are working fine, must be an issue at the display end.

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer1kr View Post
    could be the temp sensor do a search or pour cool water on the exhaust temp sensor next time and see if it fires up!!!!
    cheers will remember that if it happens again

Thread Information