Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sl900 woes!

Sl900 woes!

Hey guys just picked up a 97 sl900 for cheap owner was talking about it having what sounded like the stator replaced and it was pricy so I'm looking over all these part numbers my Cdi is 4010447 but crossed out 4010378 I believe which I haven't seen anywhere so I'll post a picture of my Ebox and you guys tell me what I got.

second issue is when I went to crank it I saw a blue disconnected for some reason I blanked and hooked it to positive and it arced and stopped it ended up being Ebox ground wire what are some consequences for putting power to that wire I got no blown fuses and no spark I'm going through the motion to diagnose but need to figure out if I have the update kit first
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	399111  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Polaris does not use Blue wire for ground.

Blue wire with flat tab connection is oil level sender. You may have damaged the oil level sender or the MFD.

4010447 is the correct CDI part number.

I see several disconnected bullet connectors. These are for the stator to CDI link and all must be connected before engine can run.

Yes I know blue wire is not standard someone had installed it goes to Ebox ground and those wires are disconnected as I was testing parts

and I should mention mfd works reads rpm while cranking and bilge pump works with button as well

and for the cdi I only ask because I have a red potted Cdi thought those were the gen 2 cdi

+1
    Also the updated CDI (447) according to the install sheet for the SL 900 does not use the grey wire with the flat connector (limiter)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris junky View Post
    Also the updated CDI (447) according to the install sheet for the SL 900 does not use the grey wire with the flat connector (limiter)
    You can connect the CDI gray wire (RPM limiter) to the Tan overheat warning wire if you want. Engine will limit RPM if the overheat sensor is triggered. Tends to get your attention quicker, before noticing the red warning lamp on MFD.

I will note that if it triggers an immediate MFD warning (HOT) or RPM limit with the engine still cold then a diode would be needed to be added. I had this happen a few years back with a 1200 transplant (from Sugar Sand, via Hurricane) into a 1997 SL900.

MFD signals that trigger RPM limiting
    Note the diode comments.
    Last edited by K447; 09-16-2016 at 03:02 PM.

+1
    Haven't tried the diode trick, the 2 900's I added the update kit to and connected the grey limiter wire both flashed the warning light for some unknown reason. I had checked all the reasons it would flash and couldn't find the issue, it would blink until the MFD went to sleep mode. Then I discovered the instructions said not to connect for the 900's. I will add the diode to the one i still own. Thanks K447.

Well deff some useful information so far but as far as my original question of what happens when you take the little ground wore and put it to the positive side of the battery I currently have no spark trying to figure what to do, I've been using a small jump pack to turn engine over its at 12.6 volts not sure if a good battery is a better option I don't get any spark at all

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by polish pete View Post
    Well deff some useful information so far but as far as my original question of what happens when you take the little ground wire and put it to the positive side of the battery I currently have no spark trying to figure what to do,

I've been using a small jump pack to turn engine over its at 12.6 volts not sure if a good battery is a better option I don't get any spark at all
    Battery voltage will droop when the engine is actually cranking.

Booster packs are not encouraged, they often do not perform the same as a 'real' battery.

Weak battery voltage while cranking will confound your diagnostics.

I suggest installing a proper battery. Deka ETX16 recommended.

I do not know where this non-standard blue wire connects to, nor whether any of the other blackground wires were damaged by the short circuit.

well the blue wire looks like a replacment someone made and is going to the blck ground strip inside the electrical box, i will have to add that the bolt holding the wire and board down on that side was stripped possibly causing a bad connection as well. i guess my biggest problem is knowing which generation ignition kit i have to know what specs i need to look at while testing

+1
    You have the '447 CDI which is the Gen III ignition system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information