TwoBall's latest buy - 1997 SLTX with an aluminum Triton Tandem trailer.

Paid $1000.

Trailer is nice, except the torsion axle is rotted bad, even a chunk missing and it was starting to buckle by the time I got home. I braced it up with some unistrut I had laying around, probably pick up a full length 2X2 steel square to sister it up. Hopefully gets me a couple seasons. I'll also keep my eye out for a sale on a new axle.

SLTX, it's a 1997. Story was that it was last ran 3 years ago, ran great, only issue was fuel float, which was bypassed (wired are cut and spliced). Compression in M-C-P is 140-130-135, clean boat, no obvious issues on visual inspection. Did not try to start it when I looked at it.

Got her home, checked her over a bit. Gas tank was empty or extremely close, so I tossed in a quart of TCW3 (no idea if oil pump is functional), a bottle of gumout fuel system treatment, and 10 gallons of 92 octane. Got her back home and she started right up with a quick squirt of premix in the carbs. Trailer test was spot on, 2950 stable idle, crisp response when blipping the throttle. I noticed exhaust smoke in the hull and it seemed to be coming from the DG Tri-Oval waterbox. Pulled it out and yeah, there was a 3/8" hole corroded in it. Threaded a large bolt into the hole and sealed it with 5200 as a TEMPORARY fix. Going to drop her in at the ramp tomorrow and see how she runs on the trailer, maybe putt around and see what I'm dealing with.

This is the replacement for my SLX. That 2 seater, as much as my daughter loves it, is just a toy compared to the SLX/SLTX hull. Going to run with the SLT and the SLTX, and sell the SLX in the spring when the market is better.

Also missing the captive drain plug...... going to have to pick up a new one. Hopefully I remember before I go to the ramp

Anyway, here she is
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160915_183127.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	399064   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160915_183135.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	106.6 KB 
ID:	399065   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160915_183142.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	399066  

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I suggest replacing the rotted torsion axle. Risk of having it tear apart going down the road, risk damage to trailer, watercraft and possibly the tow car, even other cars on the road.

Torsion axle is not straight across from wheel to wheel. It is kinked up in the center to compensate for the axle and swing arm flex when loaded.
    Last edited by K447; 09-16-2016 at 09:58 AM.

+1
    If you wanna make it fun I got some parts off an sltx I'm selling including triple pipes the ski was a blast for sure

I do need some parts, I am going to need at least a water box. I don't want to dump a ton of money into this boat, just want to make it reliable. But I might be interested in some stuff.

Water tested it at lunch time today. Ran great on the trailer, ran about 10 minutes. Backed it off and about 5 feet from the trailer I realized the steering was frozen..... lol. Should have checked that. I checked the reverse but not the steering. Forced the bars and POP, broken linkage end on the cable. So now I'm floating away under power with no steering. I was able by some miracle to get back to the ramp using a combination of properly timed bursts of throttle and also using reverse when I had to. Back on the trailer, brought it home and I was able to free up the cable, and I luckily had enough thread left on the end that snapped off (handlebar end) to thread the eyelet back on. No room for the backing nut though, so I used red locktite on it.

Back to the ramp, much better with steering now. She was a little rough for the first 2 or 3 minutes, but then she cleaned out and it runs great! RPM might be high, I didn't do a ton of WOT because I want to really go thru the boat over the winter, but when launching from a stop I one time saw 6700 on the dash, so I was worried it might be running a bit lean. Wide open once carefully nursed up to speed was about 6400 - 6500, but I didn't hold it very long at all. The odd thing is when I got back to the ramp and checked the peak RPM on the MFD, it was 6130, which I know I was over many times.

So far so good!!!! Once back at the ramp though, pulled the seat off and it definitely smells like exhaust in there, so I am going to need a water box. The DG waterbox does sound pretty good though, shame it's rotted out.

Any good threads on the 1050 like there are on the 780s?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
    Water tested it at lunch time today. Ran great on the trailer, ran about 10 minutes. Backed it off and about 5 feet from the trailer I realized the steering was frozen.....

Any good threads on the 1050 like there are on the 780s?
    Um, yeah. Check and service everything, then do the water test.

1200 engines are very similar to the 1050 (and 900 for that matter) so many of the same tips and upgrades apply. Caveat that the 1050 likes to rev a little more than the 1200, smoother too.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    2BS you got the disease BAD now!

What can I say, you were right, the SLT hulls rock.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by twoballscrewball View Post
    What can I say, you were right, the SLT hulls rock.
    LOL...got your box sitting in the garage...let me know when you want it.

Thread Information