Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

+1

FICHT Flywheel Repair

I will be using this thread to share my findings as I attempt to come up with a suitable repair for FICHT Flywheels that have had magnets come off. I have one flywheel that failed on my own ski, as well as another that was generously donated to the cause by K447.

The one from my ski had one magnet come partially unglued and shatter, (destroying the stator also), and one magnet has a big crack in it that seems to have eroded somewhat. I'm not sure what would have caused the second magnet to fail in that way.

The flywheel donated by K447 has only one magnet that has come loose and seems to be undamaged.

I plan to reattach at least one magnet and then see how difficult it is to remove it by force. This will determine if it has been successfully reattached. My hope is to end up with a spare flywheel and also a dependable method for others to use in repairing other flywheels. There have been many flywheels that failed in this way just over the past season. I believe we need to repair some of them and get them back into service so we can keep our skis running.

As I hope to save one of these the first thing I will need to do is remove more of the magnets. I know heat would take them off but that is also almost certain to ruin the magnets. I will try using paint stripper to loosen the bond first and go from there.

The next thing will be to choose an adhesive. Some have suggested JB Weld. HiPeRcO found a Loctite epoxy that mentions magnets. That might be worth a try. I called Loctite and spoke to a tech. who advised me to use EA9017 Part # 1324007. That appears to be just a common epoxy. It does mention steel and ceramic so maybe that would work. I will do more research.

I will post more as I go. Feel free to chime in with ideas, info or past experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 4.jpg 
Views:	733 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	399049   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 1.jpg 
Views:	661 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	399050   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 2.jpg 
Views:	624 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	399051   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Views:	657 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	399052  

+1
    If it were me, I wouldn't bother with destructive testing, post bonding. The vibration and temperature cycling over time are what will make or break the magnet bond. I have see the Loctite epoxy ("E-20HP Hysol") in use, its tough stuff! (but haven't seen it on FICHT flyhweel magnets Here is the post that I mentioned it originally:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2776473

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Good luck on your endeavors. You're right, I've seen a few broken ones. Hell I just saw some dumb ass trying to sell one on ebay a few weeks ago with missing magnets for $325 LOL

+1
    Here is another epoxy I'm looking at. I've had good luck with Devcon products before. It has a high temperature rating too.https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...E/_/R-DVC14310

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    If it were me, I wouldn't bother with destructive testing, post bonding. The vibration and temperature cycling over time are what will make or break the magnet bond. I have see the Loctite epoxy ("E-20HP Hysol") in use, its tough stuff! (but haven't seen it on FICHT flyhweel magnets Here is the post that I mentioned it originally:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2776473
    Agreed, but at least I will know how well it adhered right from the get go. Only time will tell the rest.

+1
    Loctite 332 might be even better yet. Specifically indicated for magnet bonding. Used with activator.

http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/p...=8797886808065

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Loctite 332 might be even better yet. Specifically indicated for magnet bonding. Used with activator.

http://www.na.henkel-adhesives.com/p...=8797886808065
    That is recommended for neodymium magnets. There is no mention of ceramic. Do you think that matters? I notice the other products do mention ceramic.

Maybe we're over thinking this. There is very little force on these magnets. They don't even try to snap to the other magnets still on the flywheel. As K447 pointed out in another thread, it's thought to be more of a preparation problem. Maybe the type of adhesive is not so important, as long as it's good quality and long lasting.

+1
    As long as you apply the epoxy with the correct polarity you should be fine. Lol

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by beerdart View Post
    As long as you apply the epoxy with the correct polarity you should be fine. Lol
    If you mean putting the magnets on in the correct orientation, there is a small notch molded into one corner of each magnet to use as a guide.

+1
    I have come up with a method for removing the donor magnets without breaking them, (at least I got one off so far). First, lots of paint stripper and then a big C clamp. This one is actually designed for U-joints.

As you can see I put a small piece of hardwood on top of the magnet to distribute the pressure. It came off easy. I didn't need a wrench on the clamp, just turned it with my hand on the threads. The other magnets are currently soaking in paint stripper. Hopefully they will come off as easily.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo.jpg 
Views:	557 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	399267  

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information