+1

Possible STX 15f purchase...

I may have a chance to pick up a 2005 Kawasaki STX 15f for $1300 with a trailer. Naturally this is way too cheap, so of course it's broken The guy says he got it and it does start and run, but there is a rattle sound. He hasn't done any digging into it and is selling it as-is. He's unsure if the rattle is in the engine or not. Is one of these skis worth that much with a possible bad engine? I've never had a Kawi before but really like the 15f; are there any common spots where a rattle could come from that might not be bad? I know it's an OHC engine, do they have tensioners and guides that can fail and allow the chain to slap around? Seen that on some car engines.

Kevin

+1
    It could be as simple as the driveshaft rattling in the impeller. This is totally normal and makes a high metallic rattling noise when running on the trailer with no load. In the water you will not hear it, but out of the water, with it running, it should be easy to tell if its coming from under the ski near the impeller. A little bit of grease on the splines of the driveshaft where it goes into the impeller will alleviate this rattle until the grease gets washed out again.

Ideally you would be able to water test ride the ski. Good numbers for top speed at WOT would be 60ish mph at around 7400 rpms if the impeller and pump is in good shape. Just the fact that its running there should definitely be enough good parts to get back that 1300 if you end up parting it out.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Another member has a baffle weld break loose inside the waterbox, made a hard to identify rattle noise. That was a 2004 STX 15F

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    ... there is a rattle sound. He hasn't done any digging into it and is selling it as-is. He's unsure if the rattle is in the engine or not...
    Perhaps the seller knows more about the rattle cause than he is letting on. Hence selling it for cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Another member has a baffle weld break loose inside the waterbox, made a hard to identify rattle noise. That was a 2004 STX 15F
    I had that problem also on my 08 15F, sounded like something else was the problem. R-Rated in NJ diagnosed this, cut open the box, removed the loose piece & welded it back together. No issues since.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinz View Post
    ... there is a rattle sound. He hasn't done any digging into it and is selling it as-is. He's unsure if the rattle is in the engine or not...
    Perhaps the seller knows more about the rattle cause than he is letting on. Hence selling it for cheap.
    I agree with this, that's usually how deals like this go. I priced an SBT engine for it and it's at around $2k, so I'd be at $3300+ gaskets/little stuff associated with an engine swap if I did buy it. That's also not including shipping which I'm sure is way more for a 4 cyl 4 stroke than the little 2 cyl 720 I bought this year.

I'd certainly be willing to take a look at it. The waterbox theory sounds good and it would be very sweet if that's all it was, but I'm not getting excited. I'll mull it around some more and go from there.

+1
    As K447 mentioned my 15f had a baffle break in the water box which only made the rattle at idle speed and went away when the throttle was applied. I think it made the same noise in the water as well, until the throttle was applied. Turns out it was a broken baffle, my brother opened it up for me at his work and re-welded it, issue gone.

If you have access to a second "primary" water box, try swapping it in and see if that helps at all?

Thread Information