Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    According to his youtube description some ibr linkage broke and dropped the bucket.
    I understand that. I'd just like to know what exact part number failed so I can ask my dear about it and have it inspected before I put it away for the season in a couple of weeks. I prefer to do maintenance/updates in the fall including oil changes, etc. that way I can just drop it in the water in the spring.

+1
    Dammm, hope there is a recall so we can get it done over the winter.

+1
    I looked at the rest of his vids. Not surprising that a part should break. He's pretty hard on the machine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLH101 View Post
    I looked at the rest of his vids. Not surprising that a part should break. He's pretty hard on the machine.
    I disagree wholeheartedly with your statement above.

+1
    Wow that's crazy. I'm surprised that the wind visor and mirror covers stayed on. The whole top of the hood was taken off the last time my tx nose dived like that.

I had the bolt that connects the bucket to the IBR arm walk itself out awhile back. I had to tie the bucket up to the shroud in order to make it back. Luckily it happened while at a stop so it was nothing even close to this.

Glad he's ok

+1
    Hi sea-one,

It's Tyrant1984, the owner of the RXT-X featured in the video above.
    Thank you for posting this video and starting a thread.

I don't know where to begin.

I'll start by pasting the e-mail I sent to one of the many lawyers I have spoke to.

On 9-9-16 (Friday Evening) I was involved in what could be considered a serious accident on the Willamette River near Ross Island. No other persons or property were involved in the accident. The Sea Doo I own is brand new and only had 30 hours on it when the accident occurred. This Sea Doo is equipped with a 2nd Generation iBR (Intelligent Braking and Reverse). The Second Generation being redesigned from the 1st and implemented into the new 2016 models. This is the first year with the 2nd generation iBR.

I recorded the whole accident on my GoPro which was mounted on top of my helmet.

Accident @ 30 Second Mark. Damage to Sea Doo is apparent in the later part of the video.

While under way and under power, a bolt that attaches the braking plate to the control mechanism snapped in half (Please see attached photos) resulting in a full deployment of the "brake plate" while thrust from the jet pump was still being produced. Under normal operation, the throttle is overridden and reduced to near zero when braking is desired. This was not the case being that the "brake plate" essentially activated itself when the bolt broke in half. Not only did it activate itself, but thrust was still being produced resulting in a very aggressive and uncontrolled braking which resulted in my flying over the handle bars (Stern Up - Bow Down).

When I flew over the handle bars both my knees impacted the handle bars. This caused bruising (Please see attached photos) and pain in both knees and additionally to my lower back. When I flew over the handle bars, the impact of my knees into the handle bars caused the handle to move all the way forward and crush and dislodge the instrument cluster.

When I re-boarded the Sea Doo, I could only turn right and the thrust was stuck in reverse. I managed to bungee the "brake plate" up and out of the way to regain forward motion. I then limped it back to the dealer where I bought it (SK Northwest). The Sea Doo is currently in their shop being repaired, not necessarily to my liking or standards. The repairs are still not complete. The bolt was out of stock and is being shipped from Canada and I have been told that this will take a while.

I'm not too sure if I have a case or any sort of recourse in this matter. Obviously the dealer is not at fault. My concern is the Sea Doo (BRP - Bombardier Recreational Products) has designed and installed a bolt into their 2nd Generation iBR system that is of insufficient quality or strength resulting in a catastrophic failure. This Sea Doo is brand new and I have only operated it for 2 months for a total of 30 hours of ride time. Also, this problem may not be isolated to me only. I suspect that other owners of Sea Doo's similar to mine will start experiencing and reporting incidents like that one I had.

Also, I don't exactly feel safe getting back onto the same Sea Doo that failed on me in the first place and that was repaired with the same bolt that failed initially.

I have more pictures of different parts of the Sea Doo Showing that there was no other damage to the craft and its components.
    Also, I have video of what normal braking looks like under normal conditions from different speeds.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you with what ever input or advice you may have.

Thank you,
    "Tyrant 1984"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    END

I'll be posting pictures of the bolt very soon, have to upload first.

+1
    Sub'd

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TLH101 View Post
    Hi TLH101,

I didn't buy a $16,000 , 300 Horsepower High Performance PWC to putt around the river with. (Respectfully Said)
    I'm new to this forum and would appreciate any help or advice you may have for me.

The bolt breaking isn't the real problem, the real problem is that there any no secondary back up system that prevents the "bucket" from falling from its own weight if said bolt breaks.
    Another user mentioned that 2 small tension springs would keep the bucket up and out of the way of the jet pump's nozzle if the bolt breaks. Great idea, and it doesn't sound all that expensive.

I'm looking forward to discussing this more with everyone.

Thank You

+1
    Pictures of the bolt that sheared in half.
    It is a "A2-70" Stainless Steel bolt that is technically lower than a Grade 8 Alloy bolt.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160910_153531[1].jpg 
Views:	1030 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	398876   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160910_153602[1].jpg 
Views:	1189 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	398878  

Bow chicka wow wow
    +1
    Man that really sucks. The other issiue with this IBR system is electrical and not mechanical. Mine has malfunctioned at stop, and idle, yet not at full throttle. Don't know if the servo drive motor can handle the pressure or not. Disappointing, but most importantly it is a safety issue.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information