Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Did I blow my head gasket?

Took the waterbox out of my ski, mods are in signature.
    There's a bunch of white almost chalky stuff in the mid pipe, but not so much in the exhaust manifold.
    I didn't clean out the aluminum from when I gutted the water box so maybe it's burnt up aluminum powder.
    But is this what it looks like when you blow a head gasket? Ski still has same power. Also not sure if the lake water would turn into these little white specks because I'm not running the closed loop cooling.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160911_174243.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	78.2 KB 
ID:	398657
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160911_174253.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	398658

+1
    Also just found oil under the exhaust manifold and don't have a ton of oil on the dip stick.. this isn't looking good-_-

+1
    Do you ride salt? What are the symptoms of the ski? Why do you think head gasket??

+1
    All fresh water riding, and because oil is down and dripping from under the exhaust manifold where the head meets the block. I didn't notice any power loss but it's been pretty choppy I never gave it hell..

+1
    Doesn't blow coolant out of over flow?? I would check compression. Are you sure the valve cover isn't leaking??

+1
    It sucks cuz I have open loop so I can't tell by coolant level going down the oil is on the under side of the manifold not the top so I don't think it's the valve cover

+1
    Check the top of the exhaust manifold and see if there is a thin coat of oil on it , I just did a head gasket and the valve cover was leaking but most of the oil collect onto the corner of the head gasket that sticks out by the manifold and was dripping on the PTO cover. When I blew my head gasket I lost all my coolant from it blowing out of the bottle in 10 mins .

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Greggpru View Post
    Check the top of the exhaust manifold and see if there is a thin coat of oil on it , I just did a head gasket and the valve cover was leaking but most of the oil collect onto the corner of the head gasket that sticks out by the manifold and was dripping on the PTO cover. When I blew my head gasket I lost all my coolant from it blowing out of the bottle in 10 mins .
    I don't have a coolant bottle, I'm running open loop, I gotta do a compression test tomorrow to see if I'm screwed or not. I'll check the manifold like you suggested

+1
    Start with compression and leak down. If you found a low cylinder put air to thatcylinder, pull the coolant hose from the head and listen for hiss. If you hear the hiss from the coolant fitting on the head you know it's a head gasket. The white specs usually show up from riding salt or running very hot.

how does the bell on the end of the exhaust manifold look?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by imp0ster View Post
    Start with compression and leak down. If you found a low cylinder put air to thatcylinder, pull the coolant hose from the head and listen for hiss. If you hear the hiss from the coolant fitting on the head you know it's a head gasket. The white specs usually show up from riding salt or running very hot.

how does the bell on the end of the exhaust manifold look?
    Stopping on my way home to get a compression tester on my way home, and that's what concerns me because if anything I'm running rich not hot and lean. Also no salt. I looked last night and I could be losing oil from valve cover but it's hard to say

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information