Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Best way to store phone while riding

So I had my iphone 6 in the waterproof floating case with my wallet and regi and license and one day when I was out wave jumping it cracked a tiny bit. Then spread a little more, well today it shattered completely and even separated where I couldn't use it, it had an otterbox commuter case on it

with that being said what is the best way to prevent breaking my new phone lol

was thinking about getting a bigger waterproof flat case thing and wrapping a hand towel around it or something?

opinions and suggestions please...

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    How are you storing the phone on the ski?

If it is slamming around loose in a storage compartment (even in a case) eventually it will get smacked the wrong way.

I suppose there are some massive rubberized phone cases, but my approach is to limit how much the phone can move around inside the storage compartment. A neoprene padded sleeve wrapped around the waterproof phone case is one method.

+1
    Phone goes in a small dry bag which then goes in an Otter box along with wallet, keys, spare batteries for GPS and GoPro and a few other misc items which fill the Otter box so the phone doesn't bounce around.

it was pretty well secured in there I believe
    in one of these with my wallet and keys

+1
    I'm using "LIFEPROOF" case on IPHONE and weather tight box so I take my truck keys, documents etc with me. This phone cases are awesome when its time for phone upgrade you just take phone out off it and it looks like you jus got it yesterday )

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    safest place i've found to store it while ridimg is in the glove box of your vehicle.
    ...just sayin.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by 6spdg37s View Post
    it was pretty well secured in there I believe
    in one of these with my wallet and keys
    The keys might be part of the problem. I suggest putting the keys in a separate container. Keys are metal and often have some weight, all together. In my view keys and smartphone should never be in the same pocket or the same storage container.

I put my keys and wallet in a different container from my iPhone 6s. Phone is protected by a padded sleeve in waterproof drypak. Keys are snugly packed in with the wallet in a separate drypak, and stored in a different compartment on the ski.

The only keys that actually ride with me on the watercraft are the vehicle key and one house key. All other keys stay in the vehicle or back at the house, no need for them while on the water. The less important stuff you take on the water the less hassle if they get lost overboard or otherwise damaged.

Actually I should not even be taking my regular wallet on the ski anymore

I have a separate water tolerant ID 'wallet' that contains all my watercraft related ID and permits, along with a few folded bills. All I need to do is add one credit card and that alone is sufficient to purchase food and fuel while traveling on the water. This 'PWC wallet' remains permanently clipped to my PFD so I always have it with me the moment I put the PFD on.

And I now have and use ApplePay which means that the iPhone or Apple Watch alone are enough to pay for stuff. Acceptance at points of sale is not quite universal but is expanding fast in my region. ApplePay works for both debit and credit card payments, the actual plastic card does not need to be present. More secure than plastic cards too.

ok so I got a bigger waterproof container where I will put the phone, which is wrapped in a foam beer cuby thing , then in a waterproof phone bag, then secured in the floating container... wallet and keys will be in the other smaller container

+1
    Just large enough to hold iPhone, a couple of credit cards, cash, and truck key/fob, and fits nicely in the glovebox.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1393.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	88.3 KB 
ID:	398663   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1394.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	85.5 KB 
ID:	398664  

Put the phone in an old Sock, wrap it around a couple times and then Put it in a Ziploc Bag...BAMN!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information