Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Ultra 150 fuel primer question

I just received my fuel primer kit, and have a question. The directions that were stapled to the kit say to drill a hole in the FA, above the carb and epoxy the fitting there. That doesn't sound like where I've heard other folks installing theirs. Where do you recommend installing the fitting. I know I've read people saying in the carb. Do you have any pics???

I drill and tap the #1 carb body and install a fitting. I install the primer plunger inside of compartment where on off switch is (with lots of experience i found ball type primer does not hold up after time). Think i purchased the fitting off ebay. Works perfect if i remember tomorrow ill snap a few pics of my set up.

If you purchased a kit it probably included a plastic fitting to T the fuel line, do yourself a favor and toss it in the trash and buy a metal one. This is one of the reasons why i normally peice my kits together.

Whatever you do, do not! Touch the choke plates they are needed for proper fuel metering.

I also recommend premixing the tank, i normally run an ounce per gallon. So you when you are priming the engine you know therea oil in the fuel.

Also install your T fitting after the fuel switch, if for whatever reason the primer gives out an starts leaking pressure in the tank will force fuel right out.

+1
    Here are pics of my installation. I drilled & tapped the intake manifold, which means I don't have to mess with the primer system to remove the flame arrestor & carbs. The disadvantage is that you MUST use the plunger-style primer, as the little lawnmower-style bulbs will allow the intake manifold vacuum to suck fuel through the bulb.

Brass Tees & brass nipples are available from McMaster-Carr. I prefer brass over plastic, but I used plastic after the plunger because the only time there is pressure in it is when you push the plunger.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primers, Intake Manifold 3.JPG 
Views:	377 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	398611   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primers, Intake Manifold 2.JPG 
Views:	264 
Size:	178.2 KB 
ID:	398610   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primer Knob 2.JPG 
Views:	283 
Size:	132.9 KB 
ID:	398612  

Thank you guys!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by turboman412 View Post
    Also install your T fitting after the fuel switch, if for whatever reason the primer gives out an starts leaking pressure in the tank will force fuel right out.
    Can you explain the logic on that? Im not seeing how its any different. I have my fitting right before it enters the carbs

*** Now that i think of it, ive been suctioning the primer THROUGH the fuel pump, could i have been damaging the fuel pump doing it this way?

you have it installed in the correct spot, at one time i was a big supporter of the ball type primers and i stupidly installed it right off the reserve line of the fuel tank before the switch. well one day the ball primer decided to leak and the pressure in the tank pushed all the gas out and filled the hull. which is why i recommend installing it after the switch

+1
    Oh you mean when it is in storage "Off" mode, the pressure that builds in the tank would push it right through the primer pump. My thought was in "Run" mode, since the switch would be "On" the pressure is equal from tank to switch as switch to carb and have no difference, which is why i wasnt seeing the logic... Got it

Am i causing any damage with pulling it THROUGH the fuel pump? Should i pull it BEFORE the pump?

What do you mean through the fuel pump

+1
    My primer T-fitting is installed between the fuel pump and carb, therefore the suction from the primer plunger is sucking through the fuel pump to draw fuel from tank. If i install between switch and fuel pump, then the primer has a straight shot suction to draw from the tank without having to pass through the fuel pump.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160912_095005_375.jpg 
Views:	275 
Size:	45.2 KB 
ID:	398719  
    Last edited by Spades; 09-12-2016 at 12:08 PM.

This isn't an ultra150? Or do you have an aftermarket fuel pump and carb set up? honestly i would put it before the fuel pump. do not really know if it would hurt anything probably not but i am unsure.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information