Polaris SL 650 starter and or solenoid problem.help.

So I have tested both the starter solenoid with the screw driver trick (no spark) and I tested the starter installed and not installed. With a old jumper cables I was able to fire up the starter not installed to the ski with the brand new ski battery. A little help and movement with the ground it fires up. So I cleaned the contact areas where the starter bolts to the engine and also installed a new ground wire at the bottom of a jug bolt. Installed the starter again and I'm only getting roughly 8.5v to the starter. Checking the volt when not installed to the engine it's 12.5+ volts. I'm stumped on why this is. It's the ground wire I believe causing this issue. Should I relocate it right to the starter bolt between the starter and engine block. Maybe this will solve he problem.

Jet ski ran good all day. Shut it off out on the water toward the end of the day and never fired back up, just clicks. I've ruled everything out and believe it's just the ground causing a low voltage to the starter.

Any my help would be great.
    Cheers

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Where are you putting the meter probes when measuring the voltage to starter?

Put black meter probe to engine case and leave it there. Not the bolt you moved the negative cable to.

Put red meter probe on battery negative post. Not the cable end, the actual battery post. Press Start. What voltage is measured? If less than 1.0 volts then the engine ground to battery is good.

Move red meter probe to starter motor case. Not the bolt holding the starter motor, the actual metal shell of the motor. Press start. What voltage reading? Again should be less than 1.0 volts. If so, starter grounding is good.

By putting the red probe on the battery negative and the red probe on the motor block I get no readying maybe 0.01v. And putting the red probe on the starter case and black probe on the engine block in also getting a reading of 0 or 0.01v. My reading from the starter now is 11.5v when pushing start.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lemmer18 View Post
    By putting the red probe on the battery negative and the red probe on the motor block I get no readying maybe 0.01v. And putting the red probe on the starter case and black probe on the engine block in also getting a reading of 0 or 0.01v.

My reading from the starter now is 11.5v when pushing start.
    So the starter motor is working correctly now?

Your engine ground voltage measurements both seem good. Starter motor, engine case and battery negative all have minimal voltage drops.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    By putting the red probe on the battery negative and the red probe on the motor block I get no readying maybe 0.01v. And putting the red probe on the starter case and black probe on the engine block in also getting a reading of 0 or 0.01v.

My reading from the starter now is 11.5v when pushing start.
    So the starter motor is working correctly now?

Your engine ground voltage measurements both seem good. Starter motor, engine case and battery negative all have minimal voltage drops.
    I am still getting the solenoid clicking when pressing the start button. It will not turn over with the start installed. I can get the starter turned over when its NOT installed on the work bench with jumper cables and the jet ski battery. I have to rub the ground a bit on the starter where it bolts to the engine to get the starter for turn over.

Once installed back onto the jet ski I just get a click. All the voltage readings seem to work the ground seem good and the voltage to the starter seems good.

I did jump the solenoid from both positive posts and there was no response. I'm guessing that means the solenoid is good. ( Bad solenoid if it were to spark).

+1
    The starter motor itself may be failing, it can happen. These can be rebuilt or you can replace it with another, new or good used.

I do have a spare starter motor here, but shipping would take a few days to get to you. You are welcome to come fetch it, probably five hours round trip from Niagara.

Appreciate that.

I do have two starters. One was from a bunch of parts I bought and this seems to be happening on both. Where about in Toronto do you live, my brother lives right downtown Toronto and I work in Grimsby.

If you would consider shipping it give me a price I am in no rush. Just towed both the skis back from the upnorth to repair them. Had a solid two days on both of them. What a blast. But now the 650 doesn't start and the 750 bogs right now so that will be the next project once the 650 is back up and running. Ill check the piston wash and make sure nothing is wrong mechanically. Then remove the jet pump and fire it up and see what happens I did bog down acouple times because of seaweed but I believe it looks fairly clear now.

+1
    If you would consider shipping it give me a price ...
    Send me a PM with your shipping address.

Thanks k447. In the end the problem was the starter for the sl650. Turns over with out a problem. Now onto the SL750 bogging issue.

Thread Information