Are the 97' STX 1100 and 98' carb sets interchangable?

Ok, took my 1997 STX 1100 carb set to work and started getting them ready for a rebuild. Come home and took 98 STX carbs off to do the oil pump removal to just go premix and noticed they are 2 seperate carbs all together.

Can I use either or as long as I use them as sets?

+1
    Yes, but I believe the '97 has two pulse lines, whereas the '98 only has one. You can plug the extra nipple on the crankcase. The '97 carb rack has an accelerator pump that is no longer available (you might be able to use one from a Polaris). The '97 carbs are easier to tune, so some prefer them. Personally, I like the CV carbs on the '98.

Well looks like the 97's will go on eBay. I like having spares but like keeping things easy and replaceable as possible.

Thanks again steve

+1
    Since you had trouble with the download, PM me with your mailing address and I'll put the service manual on a CD for you and ship it out.

+1
    If you change the carbs, you will also have to have to matching throttle cable. Although, if you are removing the CDKII ('97) in favor of the CDCV ('98 ) you may be able to use the '97 cable as it's longer. When I removed the CV carbs from my '98 to install the CDKII, I needed a longer cable and had to get one from a '97. I like the tunability of CDKII, you can't buy jets for the CV carbs. I wouldn't let the obsolete accelerator pump diaphragm scare you away, both mine work fine and even if they didn't you can work around it as the CDKII's on the 900 didn't even have one, it's only on the 1100's.

Also the flame arrestor is slightly different between the two carb sets too. the CV carbs have a notch cut out in each throat opening for air to enter into the slide chamber and the lower section of the box is a different height. When I did my swap I used the CV flame arrestor on the CDKII carbs and I wasnt able to use the little stainless steel support bracket that bolts to the head as it was now too low for the bolts to line up. You HAVE to use the CV flame arrestor on CV carbs or the carbs wont function properly.

Thread Information