+1

Yuasa Battery issue

The Yuasa OEM battery in my 2014 GTR seems to have air pressure venting when caps are removed. Almost seems like the internal venting is defective. Have removed the tubing vent and same issue.

Anyone else have this?

+1
    First make sure charging system isn't overcharging battery (run ski with volt meter).

Second, I highly recommend you replace that old fashion open battery with a sealed AGM battery.

Deka ETX30LA

They are resold under many different names but they ALL have same type of top. AutoZone keeps them in stock.

3. +1 by:

+1
    I will check the voltage when running, but even if it was over charging it should still flow the gas out the vent. Each cell has excess pressure.

And I agree with the Deka AGM, just trying to solve this mystery

+1
    But if the system is over charging whatever battery you install will do the same.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by bluestram View Post
    I will check the voltage when running, but even if it was over charging it should still flow the gas out the vent. Each cell has excess pressure.

And I agree with the Deka AGM, just trying to solve this mystery
    Batteries go bad, it happens. Overcharging is one way to definitely hurt a battery, but sometimes batteries just degrade and fail internally, just because.

Once a battery is degraded internally, it should be replaced. Charging (even done properly with correct voltages) and monitoring the battery is not going to reverse the internal damage. Out on the water, you just want your battery to be reliable.

7. +1 by:

+1
    The Battery is only a year and half old. Even an old battery will not suddenly retain gas and pressure. Even if it was being over charged (its not I checked it today) The gas should just go out the vent and not build up in the case

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The Battery is only a year and half old. Even an old battery will not suddenly retain gas and pressure. Even if it was being over charged (its not I checked it today) The gas should just go out the vent and not build up in the case
    My understanding is that the venting system in the battery does not release until the internal gas pressure rises above some specific threshold.

Below that pressure level the vent does not release and therefore there can be some gas pressure contained inside the battery case. Not enough pressure to cause damage to the battery, and not enough pressure to force the vent system to release excess pressure.

If one or more of the cells in the battery has degraded it can generate more gas than normal during charging. The charger will attempt to charge the battery normally but the weak cell will not accept the charge and will gas more than the others.

The age of the battery does not matter if it is failing. Even a new battery can go bad.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    The Yuasa OEM battery in my 2014 GTR seems to have air pressure venting when caps are removed. Almost seems like the internal venting is defective. Have removed the tubing vent and same issue.

Anyone else have this?
    if the oem type is a sealed lead acid, then the caps shouldn't be removed ( easily), I seem to recall those are the oem type, not the fill and try not to spill the acid type.

without knowing the charging current, it's hard to say what's really going on, but I'm sure you'd easily set fire to several $100 bills to try to magically undo the inconvenience and possible danger of having battery fail far from shore or perhaps in rough water

An AGM type like a Deka doesn't vent out except when nearing max service pressures internally, the gas is normally reprocessed into electrolyte. However, once the vent opens, it's all over, the battery will die a pretty quick death.

Typical symptoms, a 5 amp charge makes the battery too hot to hold after 30 minutes

A battery with a suspected venting issue is a grenade ( you might have a bit of plastic or plate material blocking the vent), best to retire it in the name of safety, assuming that your charging rates are nominal and your not cooking the battery due to a regulator fault. Bursting batteries are a real nightmare, more so if you are in the vicinity when it lets go.

+1
    My understanding is that the venting system in the battery does not release until the internal gas pressure rises above some specific threshold.
    Thank You!, this was the info I have been looking for.

I have owned hundreds of batteries of all types over the years but never seen this before with the pressure being held in. I assume all Yuasa batteries BRP uses are the same, so anyone who removes a green battery cap will get a "poof" of gas being released. Also, a small bit of acid is released when each cap is removed, I assume that is trapped in the cap somehow. The acid level in the battery is just covering the plates. The plates do appear to be sulfated
    Last edited by bluestram; 09-11-2016 at 11:40 AM.

Thread Information