Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

HOW TO: SeaDoo Spark VTS (w/IBR) Installation Kit P/N 295100630

SeaDoo Spark VTS (w/IBR) Installation

DISCLAIMER: I am not responsible for any damage done to you or your ski using these instructions. The kit or jet ski design may change at any time, there may be other issues with your ski, etc.

What you’ll need:
    Basic tool kit
    Hook/Pick Set
    Small flat head screwdriver
    1-2 cold beers
    VTS Module Kit P/N 295100630

This installation took me about an hour including taking the pictures for this write-up. I am mechanically/electrically inclined. I believe with some patience this can be completed in 1 hour or less with the proper tools.

1.) Remove the access panel from the LH side of the ski. Unhook the negative terminal from the battery.

2.) Remove the handlebar ‘pad’ by lifting up the back section and unhooking the tab on the side with the start/stop button. My fingers are pointing to where you’ll want to grab to pull towards the back of the ski and lift up. Once that’s loose you’ll see the tab on the left.

3.) Remove the LH access panel. There is one area holding it to the hull where my index finger is pointing. It is a plastic tab pressed into a rubber bushing. Once that pops loose rotate that back corner away from the ski and upwards.

4.) Next, remove the existing trim cover. It’s held on by one 8-mm bolt and one Torx T-30 screw. With those removed you can rotate it upwards and out. There is a hook towards the center of the handlebars. Rotated in the correct spot it’ll come right out.

5.) With the cover off, you can now take the VTS switch and connect the wire harness to it. You probably don’t need to but I put some dielectric grease in the connector/pins. With that done, you can then begin to fish the wire harness down the steering column. I taped the pins together as well as the P/N tag to make it easier to fish down into the access area.

6.) Once you have the new wiring harness fished into the access area, route it so it will run up to the back side of the display. Now you’ll need to disconnect and pull the display connector so you can add the VTS pins to it. A lot of people have difficulty with this and if you have not used this style connector before it can be tricky. In the picture here, you can see a red tab. You’ll need to hook this with your fingernail and pull it down towards the bottom of the ski (away from the display) this will allow you to release the tab that holds it on. That is the black tab in the middle in this picture. I recommend pushing the connector up slightly then pushing this tab in to release it. If you hear a click you should be able to pull it down then. If you have difficulty, make sure that red tab is fully released. It should not take a lot of force to release this if you are doing it correctly. Do NOT pry on this to remove it as you could damage your display.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS002.JPG 
Views:	2475 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	398450   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS001.JPG 
Views:	2676 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	398449   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS000.JPG 
Views:	2440 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	398448   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS003-0.JPG 
Views:	2234 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	398451   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS003-1.JPG 
Views:	2185 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	398452   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS005.JPG 
Views:	2212 
Size:	112.7 KB 
ID:	398453  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS006.JPG 
Views:	2066 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	398454  
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 09-08-2016 at 07:45 PM.

+1
    7.) Now, to add the pins you’ll need to remove the blanks. To do this, you’ll lift the white part of the connector up with a flat-blade screwdriver. It will take some force but not too much. To make this easier, I fully remove the white part. This will allow you very good access to remove the blanks.

8.) To remove the blanks, you will pry down on the black release tab and simultaneously push out (or pull from the back if you prefer) the blank. You’ll do this for 1, 5 & 6. The pin locations are numbered on the back side of the connector.

9.) To insert the new pins, refer to the instructions from SeaDoo in case there are any revisions or changes. According to mine, Position 1 is Black/White, Position 5 is White/Blue and Position 6 White/Green. You will push these in from the back and be sure you follow the orientation of the other pins in that row. Once they are fully seated, reinstall the retaining cap.

10.) Reconnect the connector to the display and push the red retaining tab upwards to lock it in place. Once this is done you can zip tie the new wiring harness to the existing harness to hold it in place.

11.) The VTS module instructions in the SeaDoo How-To are fairly straight forward. You will locate and disconnect the diagnostic connector. It is behind the battery (mine was on the + terminal side and you can see my finger pointing to it).

12.) Connect the diagnostic connector to the VTS module and then connect the ‘new’ diagnostic connector into the plug you took the original one out of. You’ll want to add dielectric grease to all of these connectors.

13.) Zip tie the VTS module to the wiring harness as shown in the diagram. I recommend going through the holes in the VTS module to secure it rather than around the tabs as the SeaDoo How-To shows.

14.) At this point, you are ready to test the VTS. Hook the battery back up and follow the SeaDoo procedure to initiate IBR override. If IBR override functions correctly you can then finish reinstalling all of the panels. Time for a cold one!

Name:	VTS008-1.JPG 
Views:	2148 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	398456   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS008-0.jpg 
Views:	2084 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	398455   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS009.JPG 
Views:	2075 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	398457   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS011.JPG 
Views:	2136 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	398458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS013.JPG 
Views:	2109 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	398459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VTS014.JPG 
Views:	2051 
Size:	89.7 KB 
ID:	398460  

Last edited by ThrottleOut; 09-08-2016 at 07:51 PM.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Ok, pictures added. I can update this post with more information, links, etc as needed.

Here's another thread on here for the original discussion when the kit came out: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=223805
    Last edited by ThrottleOut; 09-09-2016 at 06:50 AM.

+1
    I wish this existed when we tried to install ours haha! getting that plug out was a bastard.

+1
    Nice write up

Nice Job on the write up, it will help when I do mine.

+1
    Hopefully this will help with the install. I found the 'Doo directions decent but lacking in some areas. Maybe a mod would want to add this to a sticky?

Also, for what it's worth I got to get a bit more riding in this weekend with trim. It's definitely worth adding IMO. Trim it up for jumping waves and the nose heads towards the sky and it doesn't pound through waves. Trimmed down in flat water helps it bite when turning and flat or just a touch up is great for cruising on relatively flat water. It doesn't have quite as dramatic of an impact as some of the other skis I've had but for the price and relatively easy install it's well worth it!

I'm having a problem installing the VTS module on a 2016 IBR Spark. I found the cable with green end that plugs into the VTS module (it wasn't plugged into anything just hanging inside) but I cannot find where I plug the orange end on the VTS module into the jetski. The Sea-Doo directions have two options, one for VTS module installation ALONE and one with "Connection Kit Installed" with the latter looking more like what I'm seeing on my ski. Your pictures don't really show where the orange end plugs into. Can someone please help? Thanks.

UPDATE: I just looked at where the diagnostic port is and mine's blank (there's no pins). Is there something different with the 2016s?

This is what my diagnostic port looks like:

Name:	20170402_201450-01.jpg 
Views:	1762 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	409951  
    Last edited by GoondockSaint; 04-02-2017 at 08:37 PM.

+1
    Take a look at steps 11/12 in this. It's been a while since I looked at mine. The ski I used for the how-to was my 2016 so it should be the same as yours. There's a diagnostic connector that plugs into the IBR module. It's hard to see and it took me a little while to find it.

+1
    Update: There appears to be a known issue by BRP that some of these kits aren't functioning correctly. They do not show the VTS logo and buttons fail to do anything. It looks like BRP is investigating now.

Link here: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2841790

Quote Originally Posted by R X P X View Post
    It is a known problem with BRP.. the below is quote from BRP

Under investigation - Variable Trim System module (Spark)
    Thu Apr 13 19:44:00 UTC 2017
    VTS and Extended VTS kit not functioning after instalation.

KIT P/N 295100630, 295100704

The problem reported were the VTS logo doesn't come up on the cluster and the switches won't activate anything.

If this happens to you, please hold on, a week or 2, for us to find a solution. Replacement kit from our inventory might also be affected.
    We have been looking into it for the last week and following recent discussions with the supplier, we think it may be a software problem in the CCK module.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information