Pump neoprene seal

Had something interesting happen today, the neoprene seal in between the wear ring and hull somehow came off and got sucked through the pump. Ended up getting stuck between the impeller and vanes. Caused a crazy amount of cavitation. Has anyone had this happen before? What could cause this?

The Spark is still on the lift, hope to get it off tomorrow to take off the pump and replace it.

Sounds to me like someone didn't put it back on correctly or somehow that rubber seal broke and got sucked off...hahaha

My money would be on that...it wasn't installed correctly on the wear ring...but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by rew2424; 09-08-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rew2424 View Post
    Sounds to me like someone didn't put it back on correctly or somehow that rubber seal broke and got sucked off...hahaha

My money would be on that...it wasn't installed correctly on the wear ring...but I could be wrong.
    Yup that someone was me. Got it on a trailer and took it apart. I f'ed up putting the pump on and the bottom two bolts were missing. I either didn't tighten them all the way or didn't replace the yellow loctite. Interestingly the seal came off as I was in reverse..... Lasted 25hrs though. Need to replace the wear ring now as well since the misaligned the pump and destroyed it.

Picking up the parts tomorrow, will install correctly and fingers crossed it fixes it! Only a few more weeks left in the season.

Bummer dude..that sucks....but on the bright side at least the entire pump assembly didn't come off...those bolts are torqued to 16 ft lbs and be sure to use Blue Loctite on the bolts.
    Last edited by rew2424; 09-11-2016 at 06:50 AM.

Thread Information