Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AFR advice

AFR advice

I'm after some advice for what AFR's I should be looking for when setting up my fpr this weekend?

07 RXT with Et127 + 3mm,
    Bosch 50's ( I know I should be running 48's but ordered the wrong size, hence fitting the rrfpr to adjust base rate as massively over fueling! Plus will be fitting a bigger charger later).
    Riva ECU
    External Cooler
    Riva exhaust
    4inch intake

I've just finished wiring in the afr gauge with probe in one of the horrific R&D adaptor/exhaust spacers, luckily I have a riva through hull exhaust with plenty of room to shunt it back!
    Riva RRFPR is fitted but have not started the ski since fitting. Will drop the base rate to 54psi on the advice of Jerry as massively over fueling and fouling the plugs, what afr should I aim for at idle, mid and WOT? I haven't hooked the fpr up as only need it for static at the moment.

Never had any experience with AFR's so a little nervous!!

+1
    You'll get various responses, here is what I do approximately:

13.8 - 14 idle

~13.7 @ 2.2k dropping to around 13.3-5 at cruising speeds of just under 6k (this is where you save gas)

~13.4 @ 6k and slowly coming down to about 12.5-6 at 8k, then slowly going down to 12.2-12.4 at @ 8.7k but I don't run crazy timing.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    You'll get various responses, here is what I do approximately:

13.8 - 14 idle

~13.7 @ 2.2k dropping to around 13.3-5 at cruising speeds of just under 6k (this is where you save gas)

~13.4 @ 6k and slowly coming down to about 12.5-6 at 8k, then slowly going down to 12.2-12.4 at @ 8.7k but I don't run crazy timing.
    Same, I run a little more rich up top anything above 7 is below 12.5 and wot is 11.9 because I don't spend much time in that area I'm either causing at 5k rpm or at wot. 11.9 is at 9k with a rude 2 so you could get away with low 12's on the 127. I wouldn't worry about idle too much, I've run a rich as 13.1 and still have good hole shot and don't have to worry about fouling plugs.
    This is gonna sound awful but I ran in the 11's for anything above 2k rpm for about 4 hours trying to figgure out my fuel controler and I didn't foul any plugs.

+1
    It's a great wheel and runs strong on a stock Ecu OR a Riva Ecu as long as you run 48s on the Riva Ecu it works
    I've been fast with my ski and now back to a stock Ecu 127 setup and from what I've seen IF you are lean install a walbro 255 pump IF using stock fpr and lines with 42s (on a stock Ecu)
    still have my walbro installed and had to add my fuel regulator to pull fueling

+1
    Also do not use rising rate with the reference line attached. Use just static with no boost like attached.
    With those 50s you'll be rich but as stated you have the regulator to adjust

Thanks guys, when I say I'm fouling plugs its running rich as hell and they are wet! you can feel its not running as smooth as it should due to the epic amount of fuel they are pumping in. I've installed the rrfpr to drop the base rate and try and find a sweet spot. On the plus side I have rebuilt the motor with supertech valeves ect as bought a s a non runner with the intention of putting a bigger charger on at a later date once I have set the ski up and gotten use to riding it so with the 50's and the rrfpr I've future proofed it and can hook the reference line up then. The only reason I went with the riva ecu is because the stock one was shot and it was the cheaper option! Luckily again I can run the Vtech with the Riva ecu so will look at that next year.

Thanks for the advise, will have a play around with it this weekend and report back!

+1
    On stock ecu and 42's, and pretty much the same for all else, i'm low 12's at idle, sweeping to 14 just under boost and mid 12's at 8100.

Well what a nightmare today was! Calibrated the afr gauge, all good. Then it all went down hill!
    Start button stopped working so had to hot wire it by cutting the button off, a sign it was going to be a long day. Started at 60lb Base rate, engine ran like a bag of sh!t! Rough was an understatement.
    Afr at idle was 10.5-9 and going up to 12-13 when rev'd. All this on the hose, not on the water.
    Adjusted the fpr to 50lb, no difference, afr 10.5-9. Engine still running rough.
    Messed about adjusting the fpr, no difference in afr, 10.5-10.9 at idle, climbing up to 14 under throttle to 4k.
    I unplugged injectors, coil packs, sensors to see if I could isolate the bad running, even swapped out the coil packs from another ski, still ran like crap?! I chucked a set of 42lb injectors in and ran better than with the 50's but still missing?? Afr still 10.5-9 at idle. Boost gauge showing negative instead of positive readings too. Wtf?
    Should I be worried about the afr I'm seeing at idle or should I sort the missfire out and chuck it in the water to see what reading I get?

+1
    As much as it sucks you need to be on water to have proper AFR readings. No load on the engine when you're on the hose.

Go on the water with the seat off and adjust the regulator.

Man tuning with fuel pressure seems so prehistoric Nothing like looking at a nice log and tweaking the fuel table on your PC.

+1
    The engine is under a vacuume, mine is like -8 psi at idle, boost doesn't show up until lIke 6k rpm, so you can run in the 13 range until there.
    Are you running a fuel controller like a cmd or rude controler? And are you running a 255 pump? Some people go way down to like 40 psi but that might screw your mid and top afr.
    That idle is pretty rich, do you have a pic of how you set up your regulator?
    What I think is happening is your ecu thinks it's freezing and is adding more fuel and will not switch to the hot map until the engine reaches close to operating temp.

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information