Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Fix to sell or sell as is?

My GP1300r rear cylinder had a bad day last Friday, also leading to a bad day for me.

Not sure exactly what happened yet as I haven't pulled the head, but after a WOT run, I went to pick back up and couldn't rev past about 4500rpm. Got it back to dock, fired it up on the trailer, and it went through the rev range and sounded fine....was hoping for the best and an easy fix. It never stalled, no strange sounds, etc.

Got home and ran compression on my first two cylinders...128 each - not too bad (still a stock GPR). Before even running a compression test on the third cylinder I knew something was wrong. The plug no longer had a gap, implying that the piston struck the plug. Ran compression, and sure enough - 96psi. I looked into the cylinder and could see a mark, confirming my hypothesis.

Anyway, I'm planning on selling the GPR regardless for the new GP1800.

I've never rebuilt an engine before (although this doesn't seem too bad), and I don't know what the cost will be.

Is it worth it for me to fix this before I sell it, or can I get a decent buck selling it as is? Or, does it make even more sense for me to part out the ski altogether?

If I do fix it, where is the best and least expensive place(s) for parts?

Tell me if I'm wrong since I have no experience with engines, but my thought is that if my piston struck my plug, the origin of the problem is the bottom end, right?

Anything else that could have caused the piston to hit the plug that wouldn't imply catastrophic damage?

Thanks in advance to the gurus on this forum with their sage-like wisdom!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if you can deal with hull disposal, parting out will get more money out of it, if your time isn't too valuable that is.

if the ski is mint cosmetically, you might get more out of fixing it..but that depends on local market also.

sounds like you broke a skirt, pull the head and lets see how bad it might be.

debris in the bottom end is a time consuming fix and there might be a hole in the engine cases also.

Well ,Around 1kgive or take for parts if skirt broke and made contact with rod bearing on bottom of case punching a Crack in it. $275 to fix and replated +tax cylinder ,crank say 400,factory bottom end seals 50 ,top end rebuilt kit 200 ish , odds and ends throw another 50.

Or ebay some used crap with "low hours" and feel your butthole tighten up when it let's go 5 miles out.ha ha

4. +1 by:

Hey if you sell as is PM me, maybe a good weekend project

+1
    Well, I opened up the head and definitely found the problem! Here's some pics of the damage to cylinder 3. I haven't been able to take the jug off yet (Anyone care to tell me where the hidden bolts are keeping it in the craft? Found 4 below the cylinder, 4 attached to the exhaust, and the power valve cover bolts...what else am I missing?).

What could have caused this? A power valve failure? I have wave eater clips, which I thought were designed to prevent such a disaster...any other ideas? General overheat from the, errr "friend" who had it floored in a bed of seaweed stuck in place?

No noise from the bottom end and it kept running, so if that's the case - where did all the shrapnel go?

And is it just me, or is there too much fuel and not enough oil in cylinder 2? Looks awfully clean...could this just be symptomatic of overcompensation for the lost rear cylinder?

The dome isn't looking so hot, either...

Alright - enough questions...I'll let the experts enlighten me from here...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All 3 Cylinders.jpg 
Views:	314 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	398501   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160909_155744.jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	398500   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All 3 Domes.jpg 
Views:	291 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	398502   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cylinder 3.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	91.7 KB 
ID:	398503   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dome.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	101.8 KB 
ID:	398504   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Cylinder.jpg 
Views:	300 
Size:	79.6 KB 
ID:	398505  

+1
    Pulled my xlt1200 engine apart today....same exact failure as yours. Overheated by running in the seaweed. You'll find that 3rd cylinder piston Overheated. Expensive lesson to learn.

+1
    Disclaimer... I'm no expert by far. Hard to tell in these pics, but looks like it chipped the piston ring seat, these pieces bounced around a bit, tagging the sparkplug, and likely blown out the exhaust ports.
    Yeah, the over-heat argument fits. But if you look at what side of this piston is damaged, it seems to be aligned with the power valve - what are the odds. I'd pop the power-valve cover to take a peek – inquiring minds want to know.

As far as #2, it is clean. I want to suspect a water leak, but it might be this cylinder is just not igniting often - so check plug, coil, & carb.

+1
    It looks like it either spun a ring or broke the powervalve. That center piston looks very rich. My guess would be a injector sticking open or worn out.

+1
    I crossed checked your forum posts since you didn't post about the seaweed when you started this thread. Like I said, got mine stuck in the seaweed at a local lake I test at. Like a dummy, I ride my xlt all the way back to the ramp because of the alligator population. Cleared out grate, ran good for a WOT pass or two, then the rpms started hunting up and down on each WOT pass. The damage was done. Seized #3, #2 was also damaged. #1 survived, but I will change the piston on rebuild. Very expensive lesson to learn, especially since I had to rebuild this unit when I got it, and once again when I got too aggressive on my carb adjustments. Good luck with yours, I would also replace the PV'S, as they are soft metal, and since they have been overheated they may have a penchant for snapping off now.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    I crossed checked your forum posts since you didn't post about the seaweed when you started this thread. Like I said, got mine stuck in the seaweed at a local lake I test at. Like a dummy, I ride my xlt all the way back to the ramp because of the alligator population. Cleared out grate, ran good for a WOT pass or two, then the rpms started hunting up and down on each WOT pass. The damage was done. Seized #3, #2 was also damaged. #1 survived, but I will change the piston on rebuild. Very expensive lesson to learn, especially since I had to rebuild this unit when I got it, and once again when I got too aggressive on my carb adjustments. Good luck with yours, I would also replace the PV'S, as they are soft metal, and since they have been overheated they may have a penchant for snapping off now.
    Good luck with yours! At this point, I'm just theorizing what could have caused the failure. I was the one riding at the time it happened, but was allowing others to ride during a trip to the lake the day before when the "Seaweed Incident of 2016" transpired.

She was stuck in there good.....no movement at all. I think the problem happened when she was trying to throttle her way out of it instead of being rational and turning it off while waiting for me to come help. Who knows exactly how long she was in there with it running and how much throttle the thing was getting?

Expensive lesson to learn, indeed.....

Don't let friends ride your skis!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information