+1

Arrow SLT 750, possible debris in jet pump reduces thrust, engine revs but prop 'slips'

Ah HA! I see old post from 2013 but I feel this could explain what we experienced..

We picked up another 95' SLT 750 and had it out yesterday. It was perfect and smooth the fist two hours...Then we followed a channel that was weedy/mucky and likely shallow. (Odd for it's traffic, but..now we know...)

Both came out of the channel after a 10 min no wake and wouldn't open up. I bounced and flushed mine by turning L&R while rocking and after about 10 times it cleared out and jumped out of the water.

The other Ski would only get up to about 8 mph then it was like shifting it into neutral. She revved up but no difference in the jet power output.

Does this sound like the coupler failed? I'll go out and spin the shaft cover and see if it's similar image as above....

Thanks to all, look forward to hearing back. Any troubleshooting I can do before removing the pump would be appreciated as well...Dutch
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2016 at 08:33 AM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch1 View Post
    Ah HA! I see last post in 13' but I feel this could explain what we experienced.. We picked up another 95' SLT 750 and had it out yesterday. It was perfect and smooth the fist two hours...Then we followed a channel that was weedy/mucky and likely shallow. (Odd for it's traffic, but..now we know...) Both came out of the channel after a 10 min no wake and wouldn't open up. I bounced and flushed mine by turning L&R while rocking and after about 10 times it cleared out and jumped out of the water. The other Ski would only get up to about 8 mph then it was like shifting it into neutral. She revved up but no difference in the jet power output. Does this sound like the coupler failed? I'll go out and spin the shaft cover and see if it's similar image as above.... Thanks to all, look forward to hearing back. Any troubleshooting I can do before removing the pump would be appreciated as well...Dutch
    No, you probably have something stuck in the intake grate and/or impeller. Look into the pump through the intake grate (ski on trailer) to inspect.

+1
    Hey HiPeR, that's what I thought, but on inspection when we did get it trailered I didn't see anything up / in there. I removed the coupler boot cover and all I see is grease, no rubber or metal shavings... I cranked and started it and no issues. I have a feeling this is going to suck... I'll dig in more when the humidity drops...thanks for the reply.

+1
    Pulling the pump is (usually) not hard. A good time to inspect everything once its off

+1
    I'm an advocate for closing out discussions: Quick update...Troubleshooting the SLT 750 issue I noticed the drive shaft was warm (close to hot) to the touch after running dry for about a minute - Guessing that was a good indicator that the bearing or coupler was shot OR - Maybe just the grease was bad..?.. With wishful thinking and not much to loose I did the following:

( - Prior to writing this issue the intake was "visually" confirmed clear and the tail was rocked with no resolve - )

Here's what was done as a last ditch effort before initiating my plan of taking out the pump and drive tomorrow for inspection and replacing the coupler and drive.

***trailered home an hour on the highway after this original issue***Noted because this may have blown out debris that I missed at the dock which may have been the only issue as suggested by HiPeRcO.***
    Once home:
    - Reset the MFD twice..
    - Emptied and Cleaned the water separator.
    - Greased the coupler and floating bearing until all the old (brown) grease was pushed out and replaced with HQ Marine grease.
    - Douched out the pump with the hose. Nothing noticeable came out
    - Found that the breather hose connected to the top of the oil tank had a small split in it before the one way valve. Replaced 2" hose piece.
    - Once returned to the water today and before starting (VIOLENTLY) thrust the tail up & down in the water.

Started up - idled out about 300', hit the throttle slowly to wide open and she performed flawlessly. From there - Ran fast, rocked it around, turned hard both ways, shut it down, restarted, gunned it, Jumped a few wakes, - no issues at all..

- I have no idea what "cured" the issue but It was perfect going out outing this afternoon..I was still a bit weary of venturing too far from the dock for the first 10 minutes, but she was good for the whole two hours we were out ..

YAH F*&^$ng HOO! - Cheers! Dutch1

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Thanks for providing the follow up notes.

As you found with the leaking 2 inch oil breather hose, it is worthwhile to go through these machines from end to end. It is common to find issues, small and not so small, that need attention.

It takes time and effort to do all the work, but the alternative is to risk unexpected failures while on the water, not just at the launch ramp. Stranding is no fun, and depending when and where it happens, can be dangerous.

The way to have reliable older water craft is to make them reliable through proactive maintenance and thorough servicing. Not just of the obvious things and 'broken' stuff, but also the rarely thought about components.

It is great to be on the water. It is even better to ride back to the launch ramp or dock at the end of each day, under your own power and with some confidence that the machine will continue to be reliable the next ride.

7. +1 by:

+1
    I would bet that you did indeed have something stuck in the jet pump. Somehow, someway and at sometime, it fell out or was thrown out on a dry start.
    Glad that it is working out for you now. Excellent news.

+1
    Agreed, I'm glad it forced me to discover other issues and rectify them as well..

Thread Information