Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    I used a WSM aftermarket through hull bearing/seal. IIRC it was about $40 or so and works great. The only catch is there is no place for the plastic driveshaft cover to attach to it. Aside from that, it has a grease zerk, and fits perfectly. I'd buy it again if I'm working another Virage/Genesis.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSM-drive-shaft-Seal-Carrier-repair-kit-Polaris-PWC-NIB-/162191868477?hash=item25c363823d:m:mqm8iOwqkefwsIv Ei7p9CnA&vxp=mtr
    Those look nice, but it looks like they don't work on the Genesis (the carrier is MUCH shorter on the Genesis)

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    Yeah that's what I'm saying. The WSM one is shorter as there is no provision for the plastic shroud to attach to.

+1
    I see the difference. The pre 2002 models used actual bearings, and the later models used only seals. Cost cutting measure from Polaris I'm sure. I'd go old style personally, just another level of keeping the water out and the grease in.

Looked on polarispartshouse.com between a 99 model and an 04 model.

+1
    This is a 2001 Genesis I'm working on. It has bushings and seals, but it is MUCH shorter than the one use on the Virage. See here:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=253920

+1
    That WSM one is exactly what you need. In your picture the part that your thumb is on is not present on the WSM carrier. That part of the carrier is what the driveshaft shroud attaches to on the Virage. Simply put, I'm not running the shroud on my Virage.

Trust me on this. In fact if it doesn't work, I will buy it from you, full price.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    ... What's a good way to determine wear on the bushings? I don't notice any radial play if I pull on it uniformly, but I can rock it slightly on the driveshaft by pushing one end and pulling the other.
    Replace the bushings.
    Many of your links need updating in the section "Polaris PWC through-hull drive shaft seals" (Towards the bottom of that section). Where can bushings be found, and how are they replaced?

https://sites.google.com/site/polari...water/jet-pump
    Mess of bad links in there. Some of them should be fixed now ...

An industrial bearing/seal supplier should be able to cross reference the 14DU06 bushing.

They are pressed out and the replacements are then pressed into the aluminum housing. Does not require huge force but the bushings are fairly soft metal so a hammer is not the appropriate method

I have never tried heating the through-hull housing to help release the old worn bushings . It is important to not scar the inner surfaces of the housing when driving out the old bushings as that can squeeze the new bushings tighter and create localized pressure spots on the driveshaft.

Be careful with heat and the new bushings as the way these things work when installed is friction heat against the spinning driveshaft causes the Teflon to expand and push itself through the sintered material towards the bushing surface facing the drive shaft.

When installed the new bushings are essentially zero clearance to the driveshaft. No wobble at all and some stiffness in rotation. The first ride will buff away the excess Teflon and create a no-slop fit with the driveshaft.

Of course the surface finish on the driveshaft matters. An out of round or rough/pitted driveshaft will wear into the bushings faster than a properly smooth and round driveshaft.

+1
    ... The pre 2002 models used actual bearings, and the later models used only seals...
    As far as I am aware all Polaris models and years used the same 8702 shaft seals and Teflon bushings in the through-hull assembly, except for MSX and possibly the very early 1992-1993 era.

There are two lengths of through-hull carrier on non-MSX hulls. Many models used the longer version while the Genesis, Pro 1200 and Hurricane (IIRC) used the stubby version. All have a grease fitting, Zerk (or needle style on the Fuji era?)

Only the MSX through-hull carrier has an actual steel ball bearing inside, mounted in a rubber mount and has no grease fitting.

The aftermarket replacement through-hull product uses a steel bearing (ball or needle?) with grease fitting but no groove for the plastic coupler shroud. I do not know what size seals or bearings are in these.

+1
    Yeah that's what I'm saying. The WSM one is shorter as there is no provision for the plastic shroud to attach to.
    WSM 003-115-01

The majority of this aftermarket through-hull fits inside the rubber sleeve, only the grease collar portion extends out. So similar or shorter to the Polaris OEM through-hull, should not interfere with the driveshaft coupler.

You can see the steel roller bearings inside. So maintaining the grease level inside is critical for long bearing life.

+1
    Thanks Keith, you said it better than I could.
    It's been awhile since I've messed with the OEM carrier itself, but the parts diagram shows bearings AND seals. (In addition to the carrier)

The WSM is a worthwhile replacement. No dicking around with trying to get the seals seated correctly without damage, and the added bearings are a nice touch.

+1
    .. but the parts diagram shows bearings AND seals. (In addition to the carrier)...
    They aren't bearings, they are bushings

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information