Newbie buying first ski!

Hello all,

Found a new 2014 Yamaha FX SVHO at local dealer for $12009. Another $600 for 4 years warranty. Seems like a solid deal and yes read plenty about the timing chain issue and figured I would take my chances?

I come from a Motocross racing background want something fun to do with family and just have fun but want something fast! Just waffling since its September and we live in the PWN and in a month it will be sitting until June.

Should I join the fun? This would be my first water craft of any type.

+1
    How many hours? ask them if timing chain ever got changed if it did ask if they changed it to the 2016 model timing chain. Check the pump tunnel underneath the ski for any cracks or any repairs in the hull. I would deff get the warranty just incase.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by howorks View Post
    Hello all,

Found a new 2014 Yamaha FX SVHO at local dealer for $12009. Another $600 for 4 years warranty. Seems like a solid deal and yes read plenty about the timing chain issue and figured I would take my chances?

I come from a Motocross racing background want something fun to do with family and just have fun but want something fast! Just waffling since its September and we live in the PWN and in a month it will be sitting until June.

Quote Originally Posted by Woll53186 View Post
    How many hours? ask them if timing chain ever got changed if it did ask if they changed it to the 2016 model timing chain. Check the pump tunnel underneath the ski for any cracks or any repairs in the hull. I would deff get the warranty just incase.
    Probably untitled with low to no hour leftover.
    Either way YES warranty is the way or pony up and get a 17.

The first way give you more money to buy gas.

Newbie buying first ski!

Don't do it..

$12k is waayyy too much for a 2014. Local dealers to me in Miami are selling 2016 FZS for $11999.

Also 2014 SVHO is hit or miss on the timing chains since they snap. So warranty is a must.

Unless that $12k includes a triton trailer, 2 life vest, a cover, extended warranty, taxes and all fees... it isn't good.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmfmk3 View Post
    Don't do it..

$12k is waayyy too much for a 2014. Local dealers to me in Miami are selling 2016 FZS for $11999.

Also 2014 SVHO is hit or miss on the timing chains since they snap. So warranty is a must.
    I have thread in regional section for local riders.
    It will let you know of weekly ride dates or at least have SFL regulars

Quote Originally Posted by Woll53186 View Post
    Zero hours. Its brand new.

Don't do it..

Unless that $12k includes a triton trailer, 2 life vest, a cover, extended warranty, taxes and all fees... it isn't good.
    Not sure how the Miami market compares to Oregon and Washington but I would assume that since Miami is a year round market then dealers get aggressive. This is the best price I found on a new ski in Oregon and Washington.

+1
    Hello all,

Don't do it..

Not sure how the Miami market compares to Oregon and Washington but I would assume that since Miami is a year round market then dealers get aggressive. This is the best price I found on a new ski in Oregon and Washington.

You could post in regional section see if you get local opinions.

OP to give you idea thats $609 more than my FX SHO I bought leftover in 08/2015
    The difference b/w SHO and SVHO is 2-3k normally

So I think it would be a good maybe for your area but the TC would scare me but I have warranty.
    Take that with a grain of salt since all repair needs approval despite having a warranty

Try to get the BS freight and assembly charges discounted.
    Those charges have long been covered and no reason to bring them up now with 2017 around the corner.
    Dealer fee if that plus tax tag and title is what I would push for.

Hope that helps and gives you comparsion

these are new in Portland
    https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/bod/5725891171.html

https://portland.craigslist.org/grg/bod/5751956945.html

+1
    My 2016 fz just 4 weeks ago was $11999. Thats here in new jersey.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    My 2016 fz just 4 weeks ago was $11999. Thats here in new jersey.
    Much better
    Definitely depends on location.
    But leftovers are just that. Especially when 17 are here for resell purpose it's 3yrs old.

Here's a new 14 for 13999

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/bod/5737723829.html

Thread Information