Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Yamaha gp1200r engine flooding on start up attempt

Guys I need help,

I just rebuilt the motor in my 2000 Yamaha GP1200R, new crank, pistons, jugs resleeved/honned, starter, bendix, every gasket replaced. Motor runs great out of water and sounds perfect. However, when you put it in the water, the motor is bogged down when you try to crank it because the motor is filled with water. The first two crank attempts or so sound like a normal cold collared crank attempt. After that you can clearly hear the motor bogged down from the water in the crankcase. The hull is dry. Engine is not so full of water that you can see it on top of the pistons but it is enough to keep it from cranking. BTW. I got all of the water out of the engine and it is again running perfect in the dry. SBT tech support really doesn't think a faulty gasket is causing it. Any help would be greatly appreciated to get me running before it gets too cold on me this year.

Forgot to mention, I also installed a D plate and oil block off.

+1
    Pull the cylinders off and turn the base gaskets the right way. You have installed the cylinder base gasket on wrong. They will fit either way on the pins and it only takes 1 on wrong to fill the crank case with water.

4. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by mudslanger View Post
    Pull the cylinders off and turn the base gaskets the right way. You have installed the cylinder base gasket on wrong. They will fit either way on the pins and it only takes 1 on wrong to fill the crank case with water.
    The cylinder gaskets only go on one way. You can't install them wrong.

This has happened to me also because the base gasket was the wrong way. Hard to except but there's no other way it can happen unless u have damaged cylinder jugs

Quote Originally Posted by ashley040387 View Post
    This has happened to me also because the base gasket was the wrong way. Hard to except but there's no other way it can happen unless u have damaged cylinder jugs
    The jugs are not damaged. They were resleeved and honned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dmnhollis1 View Post
    Trust me on this one. They will go on 2 ways and if on wrong WILL fill the crank case with water.
    Last edited by mudslanger; 09-06-2016 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I somehow put a response to a text to someone on this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dmnhollis1 View Post
    The 1200 gauge is unreadable. I'll have to look at the 1300. I think it has over 200 on it but both have been newly rebuilt with all genuine Yamaha parts and the injectors were cleaned on the 1300 and carbs rebuilt with all new factory kits on the 1200.

Trust me on this one. They will go on 2 ways and if on wrong WILL fill the crank case with water.
    Ok. So I was wrong. Just got my jugs off. Two of the three gaskets were on upside down. I just can't believe I did that but at least I know what it is and can put it back together now. Thanks a bunch guys.

+1
    Don't feel bad, did the same thing. I believe the tab goes to the exhaust side.BUT I'VE BEEN WRONG BEFORE>

+1
    I am glad you pulled it down and getting it back right. just soak that crank in wd40 and get that water out of it. water can rust that crank pretty quick. let us know how it does when you get a chance to ride it. Good Luck

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information