Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Getting stranded is not fun!

Well after 100+ hours of riding jet skis it was bound to happen at some point.

We dropped the skis in close to the beach and planned to do a river run which is a round trip of around 75km. I have done this trip many times so know the river quite well I normally go up to the weir where salt meets fresh and turn around. Got about 300m from the weir and we both came off the plane about a third of the way across from the river bank as we turned round to head back we both heard clunks and shut off the skis immediately.

Both skis had sucked up rocks and one of them had shattered the wear ring, having a look at the other one I could see the rock had made its way through past the impeller and got stuck in the space between the impeller and the pump. I daren't ride it as I didn’t want to cause further damage and the rock didn’t fit between the veins on the pump. I am always very cautious about riding over shallow areas but you honestly couldn’t tell it was shallow the rocks were black and you had not way of seeing from the ski how deep the water was. What makes matters worse is about 5m from our position closer to the centre of the river the water drops off and goes deep.

The worst thing about all this is we were a few miles from the closest town. I called rescue but they wouldn’t come and get us past a certain point which I didn't know to be honest, the police couldn’t help as they didn’t have a boat. We only had around an hour of sun left by this point and I was really starting to panic. I did all the right things however and let all my friends and family know where I was and provided GPS coordinates.

My friend volunteered to walk to a farm about a mile away and ask for help. The guy that lived there was amazing and came down in his 4x4 truck and got as close as he could to the water’s edge which was still about 30 metres as the bank got too steep and had large rocks. He had marine carpet which was amazing so coupled with this and some dust sheets we lifted the jet ski out of the water and wrapped the bottom of the hull in the dust sheet and marine carpet using straps so not to damage the hull or scratch it. Between the 3 of us we managed to carry the first Spark up the bank and put it on the back of the truck, and drove 10 minutes back to the farm (cross country). By the time we had got back to get the second one it was pitch black which made things difficult, but we managed it.

Luckily I had another friend who drove down to the farm with a trailer to get me back to my car so we could go home.

Makes you realise how quickly things can go wrong even when you have a reasonable amount of experience.

I took the skis into my local service centre yesterday (they are amazing) and they put a solas SS wear ring in each of them and made sure everything was running ok. No damage to report other than the wear rings. They only charged $200 a ski which I thought was really good.

+1
    wow sounds like you guys got lucky by being close to shore!

Can I ask why you put SS wear rings in? I'm reluctant to do so, because the point of the wear ring is to break & prevent further damage to your ski.

That's a bloody good price for the wear ring from the dealer though.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by edgelett View Post
    wow sounds like you guys got lucky by being close to shore!

Can I ask why you put SS wear rings in? I'm reluctant to do so, because the point of the wear ring is to break & prevent further damage to your ski.

That's a bloody good price for the wear ring from the dealer though.
    Yeah very lucky although I guess that is the time you are going to get caught, certainly with both skis.

I always go out in atleast pairs so the chances of things like this happening are low.

Honestly, the guy at the shop persuaded me. I know both plastic and SS have their pros and cons but the price and the fact they don't need replacing where the overwhelming factors.

Although I am, I will be even more vigalent when close to shore now I have SS wear rings.

I keep a spare wear ring and the tools to change them in the ski just in case of such an event. 2 10mm wrenches and a 13mm socket and breaker bar can easily fit in the area under the while panels with a wear ring. Packaged water proof and secured of course. Ten minutes on the beach and your back in the water. Even with a SS ring if rocks get jammed up the tools will be a godsend for clearing them out.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzler View Post
    I keep a spare wear ring and the tools to change them in the ski just in case of such an event. 2 10mm wrenches and a 13mm socket and breaker bar can easily fit in the area under the while panels with a wear ring. Packaged water proof and secured of course. Ten minutes on the beach and your back in the water. Even with a SS ring if rocks get jammed up the tools will be a godsend for clearing them out.
    This is a great idea, I might just grab myself some tools.

Couldn't quite work out from what you said, where do you store them?

+1
    yeah I've got a spare plastic wear ring now - will be keeping it in my caravan when we head up the river just in case.

+1
    You just described my worst fear! Back in my dumb teens I got stranded on a 550 two miles out at dusk. Ran out of gas, no gas gauges back then. Needles to say on that ski I was in the drink using the push and swim method. Got home at 10:30pm, I swear I heard the theme to Jaws...lol.

Now I have an anchor, 2 retractable paddles, cell phone, 2 lines,and seatow for piece of mind.

Really sorry that happened to you.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbs44 View Post
    You just described my worst fear! Back in my dumb teens I got stranded on a 550 two miles out at dusk. Ran out of gas, no gas gauges back then. Needles to say on that ski I was in the drink using the push and swim method. Got home at 10:30pm, I swear I heard the theme to Jaws...lol.

Now I have an anchor, 2 retractable paddles, cell phone, 2 lines,and seatow for piece of mind.

Really sorry that happened to you.
    Yeah, here in Australia especially South East Queensland you do not swim in the canals/rivers they are full of bull sharks.

The paddles are a good idea, they could have saved the same to be honest.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by demon8991 View Post

Yeah, here in Australia especially South East Queensland you do not swim in the canals/rivers they are full of bull sharks.
    LMAO maybe in QLD mate but I'm all fine down here
    No sharks, no crocs, only gotta worry about the snakes.

+1
    Was this the tweed river ?
    If so you wouldn't be the first ski to suck up rocks at the weir

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information