Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

16' RXT 300 rear access hatch?

I was washing my ski when I noticed what looks like the rear access hatches that were on previous models covered up by the foam padding. If I lightly press up and down you can see the outline of what looks like a panel? anyone else notice this?

+1
    I found the same on my GTX. I think the cutouts are still there with a panel closing them off. I don't know why Seadoo decided to eliminate the rear compartments.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisd View Post
    I found the same on my GTX. I think the cutouts are still there with a panel closing them off. I don't know why Seadoo decided to eliminate the rear compartments.
    Im sure it had everything to do with cost. Those plastic doors did annoyingly leak on every tx I had

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    I do.

Somebody at corporate finally got tired of dealing with the issues caused by a poorly thought out design, where a single point of failure on a $3 rubber bumper would take out the skis electrics when the hatches leaked and the ski went nose up on a large wave.

I see corrosion on almost every single one I stick a hand into, not to mention that forward is a far better place for sensitive electronic bits.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    I do.

Somebody at corporate finally got tired of dealing with the issues caused by a poorly thought out design, where a single point of failure on a $3 rubber bumper would take out the skis electrics when the hatches leaked and the ski went nose up on a large wave.

I see corrosion on almost every single one I stick a hand into, not to mention that forward is a far better place for sensitive electronic bits.
    But the cutouts are still there!! So now they are only held in place by the stick on foam pad covering them? I can see mine move?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike4764 View Post
    I do.

But the cutouts are still there!! So now they are only held in place by the stick on foam pad covering them? I can see mine move?
    The cutouts are not there I wish they were

+1
    I do.

Ah, Ok. I'm new to Seadoo (but have over 30 years experience with PWCs). I thought the hatches were storage bins with an internal compartment. I did not know they were access panels to poorly designed electronics placement. I have seen quite a few designs by Seadoo that make me wonder...

+1
    I do.

I totally agree - and well said!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mike4764 View Post
    I do.

Because BRP is saving money by not having to redo the moulds for this hull. Notice that the sloped areas on the base footwell are not moulded into the hull? They are add-on pieces that are screwed into the existing flat area. As long as the port cut outs don't collapse and fail I don't have a problem with them. Sea Doo may do some wonky stuff, but in the end, they make a pretty good product, in my opinion.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    it would have cost a couple of bucks to deal with the hatch cover situation, and they are handy if you have to service the IBR, but putting the battery and ecus in the rear was a HUGE mistake, you'd expect that on a grade school project, not highly paid engineers.

I KNOW!

it was " the interns" fault.

the same one that:

required you to remove a motor mount and jack an engine up 6 inches to get out a spark plug....
    required a driveline removal to change an alternator ( absolute true story-my nephews ford zephyr I think had that issue..what a cluster)
    worked at Polaris for a few years....

and everybody can add the "what were they thinking" headache they are most fond of.

all that rear hatch needed was a four position lever lock ( think watertight door on a ship, but on a far far smaller scale and plastic) and it would have been golden. how much more could that have cost?

bottom line is owners of the g1-g3 skis with rear placed electrics will have ongoing and expensive problems.

Lets start the countdown...4 years..3 years...
    Last edited by K447; 09-08-2016 at 04:00 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information