Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

2000 Virage700 with no spark

I have a 2000 Virage 700 with the 2 cylinder red domestic engine. While my son and I were out last weekend the steering cable seized and my son tried freeing it up but unfortunately pulled the cable through the hull causing it to take on water. After towing it back to the ramp, I drained what water that was in the hull, replaces the steering cable and tried to start it up but I had no spark. After looking at the ski for a few moments, I also realized that the dash wasn't lit up. A further inspection found that water had gotten into the electrical box and deteriorated the fuses and panel. I was able to clean the wires up and use jumper wires to get the dash working but I still don't have spark. Now I have ordered a new fuse panel and will install it this Tuesday however I was hoping someone could tell me how to test the coil and stator if I still have no spark after replacing the fuse panel.

I appreciate any and all help as we love this ski and had to see it not running.

Respectfully
    John T.

+1
    I'm not sure how to test a stator, someone will most likely pick up on this and let you know how to. anyway with that being said, to test the coil, open the electrical box, locate the coil pack, on the back there's 2 white wire connectors, pull them off. get a digital multi-meter, put it on OHM'S and see what the reading is, and let me know what numbers you get. follow up after you do that. I have the same engine and electronics on my Polaris freedom 700.

3. +1 by:

+1
    also. when it took on water, how far did the water get up to? past the top of the engine?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by freedom04 View Post
    I'm not sure how to test a stator, someone will most likely pick up on this and let you know how to...
    This might be useful;

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post1110087

I have a 2002 virage 700 and no spark. I am not sure what the coil output reading should be in ohms for a gen III ignition but this is what I get. out put of between both out put is 3.0k ohms and I think it should be 1.6. I have another question about removing the oil pump. If the oil reservoir is empty and the display says it is low on oil , will this cause a no spark condition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leemkuch View Post
    I have a 2002 virage 700 and no spark. I am not sure what the coil output reading should be in ohms for a gen III ignition but this is what I get. out put of between both out put is 3.0k ohms and I think it should be 1.6. I have another question about removing the oil pump. If the oil reservoir is empty and the display says it is low on oil , will this cause a no spark condition? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Welcome

Why would you remove the oil pump?

oil level does not affect engine operation.

Click on my signature links for info on how to test the ignition system on your red domestic two cylinder engine. You have the Gen III ignition.

These ignitions require a really strong battery. If battery voltage while cranking sags below 10.6 volts you will not have good spark.

+1
    Thank you everyone for the help. OK so I replaced the terminal board and everything seems to be functioning properly but still no spark. I checked the coil for resistance and it shows .001 on my meter. One thing I did see while cranking was the voltage dropped below 10.0 volts so I will put a charger on it and see if that changes anything.

Thanks again
    John T.

+1
    Okay so I charged the battery and have plenty of voltage but still no spark. When I ran through the stator test, checking for ohms, everything checked out fine except for the black wire to engine ground. The test shows this should read around 1.0 to 0.0 ohms but I am getting a reading of 135.570ohms. Obviously that is some type of issue with all of that resistance. Where should I begin, CDI unit?

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KRZRACING View Post
    Okay so I charged the battery and have plenty of voltage but still no spark.

When I ran through the stator test, checking for ohms, everything checked out fine except for the black wire to engine ground. The test shows this should read around 1.0 to 0.0 ohms but I am getting a reading of 135.570ohms.

Obviously that is some type of issue with all of that resistance.
    Where should I begin, ?
    the black wire in the stator cable is supposed to provide a direct connection to the engine case.

The actual ground connection for the black wire is via one of the stator mounting bolts. If the bolt has worked loose or there is too much thread locking compound on the threads it can insulate the ground wire from the actual engine.

If your stator cable has an online Deutsh connector, look in there for possible problems.

12. +1 by:

+1
    The cable has the Deutsh connector and I disconnected it and that is where I got the bad reading of the black wire. So with this information, is it safe to assume that the issue is in the area of the stator? Could it be possible that water entered the stator housing and deteriorated the stator or wiring? This ski has been excellent to us and although it is a 2000, it only has 78 hours on it and it's in impeccable condition so I don't mind putting a few bucks in it.

Thanks again
    John T

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information