Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation 650sx kill switch - using an STX switch (wiring help needed)

Hi guys - trying to get this figured out before the last days of warm Michigan water is over. Any help is much appreciated. I purchased this switch from ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/182242837378?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&ssPageNa me=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I've got 4 wires to hook up to the existing 4 wires. The only issue is that the new start button has only one wire (1 orange w/red stripe) where the old switch had two wires (1 brown and 1 white). The new kill switch/stop has all 4 (1 red, 1 black, 1 white, and 1 orange w/red stripe).

Any help on this is greatly appreciated. Not sure what the worst is that could happen, but I don't want to burn anything up because I wired it wrong.

Adding pics:

overview
    all 4 wires connecting to stop
    two oranges from start and stop wired together from new switch
    coming from ski "X" marked for stop wires.
    coming from switch

Thanks again everyone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski-wiring1.jpg 
Views:	793 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	397962   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski-wiring2.jpg 
Views:	652 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	397963   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski-wiring3.jpg 
Views:	647 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	397964   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski-wiring4.jpg 
Views:	670 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	397965   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jetski-wiring5.jpg 
Views:	621 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	397966  

+1
    Here's an educated guess--Kawasaki's service manuals do not give very good detail of how the switches are wired.

The Yellow-Red wires are obviously for the starter circuit. Red is almost guaranteed to be the hot wire (+12v). The kill switch is a double pole switch, meaning it serves two functions. When the ignition is turned off, the starter circuit is enabled, and vice versa. The ignition is off when the ignition hot wire is grounded. I would bet that this is when the Black and White wires are connected.

So, I would find the two terminals that are connected when the kill button is pressed or lanyard is removed; connect the Black and White to them. The two terminals that are connected when the lanyard is inserted would then get the Red and Yellow-Red wires.

Again, no guarantees, just an educated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Here's an educated guess--Kawasaki's service manuals do not give very good detail of how the switches are wired.

The Yellow-Red wires are obviously for the starter circuit. Red is almost guaranteed to be the hot wire (+12v). The kill switch is a double pole switch, meaning it serves two functions. When the ignition is turned off, the starter circuit is enabled, and vice versa. The ignition is off when the ignition hot wire is grounded. I would bet that this is when the Black and White wires are connected.

So, I would find the two terminals that are connected when the kill button is pressed or lanyard is removed; connect the Black and White to them. The two terminals that are connected when the lanyard is inserted would then get the Red and Yellow-Red wires.

Again, no guarantees, just an educated guess.
    Thanks! I'll try it and post an update for future users if needed.

+1
    Any luck?

None yet, but I'll keep this forum updated when it works. Should be a good resource.

I ended up putting the stock switch back on for the rest of the season. Got an aftermarket. Thanks! To be continued...

I know it's in old thread but here is the connection process
    from stx switch to 650 wire harness

black to black

red with silver to white

white to blue

yellow with red to orange

Hope me this helps someone down the road

mark

Ty for updating the thread mark I am having the same issue only I cut my wires before i realized 2 were looped together. So I have 6 wires that need to connect to 4. Do u recall with 2 wires are looped together

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbas View Post
    Ty for updating the thread mark I am having the same issue only I cut my wires before i realized 2 were looped together. So I have 6 wires that need to connect to 4. Do u recall with 2 wires are looped together
    the only two that are together are the yellow/red off the stx switch. That's about 4in or so down the stx wire harness. Those go to the orange wire coming off the 650sx harness.
    the stx switch on mine doesn't have trim adjustment. It's exactly like the op's. Believe mine came off a 1997 model

picts might help of yours if you can't figure it out. Sounds like you have a different model year or a different model all together. Either way it can be figured out with a little trouble shooting
    Last edited by mark32786; 07-10-2017 at 12:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark32786 View Post
    the only two that are together are the yellow/red off the stx switch. That's about 4in or so down the stx wire harness. Those go to the orange wire coming off the 650sx harness.
    the stx switch on mine doesn't have trim adjustment. It's exactly like the op's. Believe mine came off a 1996 model

picts might help of yours if you can't figure it out. Sounds like you have a different model year or a different model all together. Either way it can be figured out with a little trouble shooting
    I have 3 yellow red wire not sure which go together. #1 and #2 are coming off the green bottom other 4 are from the red. The switch looks the same to me no trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170710_112755.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	416611  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information