Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

ANYONE ever Removed Bottom half of spark plug on STX15F???ANY IDEAS

The kawa factory STX 15f over torqued and installed a CR9EK spark plug with no never seize on threads ,I went to remove spark plugs and The first one sure felt loose like it hadn't been tightened, well that's because it had pulled apart underneath the base where first thread is. Has anyone ever managed to get one out without pulling cylinder head?? I know there is a tool made for the ford trucks that were known to do this the 2002 to 2009 models. Ideas Anyone?? Thanks in ADVANCE HAPPY LABOR DAY WEEKEND!!! Am wondering how I can avoid dropping the center electrode in cylinder if I try Square EZout Any ideas on getting it out without pulling head?
    Last edited by mrjetskey; 09-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.

+1
    I don't know how much room you have to work, as I've never worked on a Kawi 4-stroke. That said, the threaded portion probably isn't very tight. It was pulling against the base, which broke off. I'd try to rig up a way to get it on the intake stroke, where the valve is open, and try to pressure up the air intake. Then I'd try to tap the threaded portion out with a small hammer and a cape chisel.

Thanks its not much room to pressurize just the front cylinder Id have to take off intake, so If I have to go that far I'll just pull engine. Seems it wasn't owners son that over torqued it ,its never been serviced properly only has 35 hours. I think threads are pretty well gunked up however others came out fairly easy ,I pulled valve cover gave me another inch of room, I'm gonna try and chip out pieces of insulator and keep track of them as I go, I think if I can chip it a 1/4" out I can use square easy out on a 1/4" extension and get it out I'm hoping.Its soaking with DB right now . Thanks>Marvin

+1
    I soaked mine a few years back in half/half acetone and tranny fluid. (Not the gross kind you would find in the big city).. Then I used an Speed out and it came out. Got lucky that time and I learned it's calibrated torque wrench and antiseize only with these little buggers..

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    antiseize can result in over tightening when using a torque wrench. You've been warned.

I can't afford to dick around with something like that. I'd pull the head. Just take one bit down the hole to cause endless expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    antiseize can result in over tightening when using a torque wrench. You've been warned.

I can't afford to dick around with something like that. I'd pull the head. Just take one bit down the hole to cause endless expenses.
    I have cleaned every bit of gunk out around and inside plug threaded section I have been soaking it with pb and have about a 1/4" where ez out will grab. The insulator is still in bottom half as is the center electrode, Am gonna try gently with snap on ez out and if no go out she comes. Would you pull complete engine or just head, any tricks on cams that would make it easier?I don't get many kawas in ,and since it seems this is a factory defect where many had #1 plug ovetorqued when built. Any help is much appreciated. You are absolutely correct in stating not using torque wrench with never seize. I always feel the gasket compress and know what feels right.. If the kawa 12f and 15f weren't so dang reliable The few I do service are usually maint. and minor items .This particular ski I have never seen before and plugs had never been changed since new!!

+1
    I'd pull the engine, it's really tight in there. It's not a whole lot of tedious work compared to dealing with it in hull.

I'm sure the kaw crowd would agree..they will be along this afternoon I'm sure.

Only thing about the DOHC motors cams gotta come out to pull head.Since I was able to get it real clean if I could get another 1/4" of insulator out and the center electrode and insulator left in plug should be held up by both ground electrodes. Whats funny is all other plugs came out easy, I figured since it makes up between gasket and base, it would have unscrewed out of there, But no its pretty well stuck. I hope Kawa didn't cross it at factory, either way If it wont unscrew its coming out one way or another (wonder why they don't use helicoil inserts like all plane engines do??? Seems like its no brainer Aluminum head use Helicoil inserts!!

OK maybe I yapped too soon I have the head off upside down that plug is in there. heat cold, all kinds of lubes I fear drilling may be only answer

+1
    it often is..

followed with a heli coil you'll be good to go.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information