Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My other ski ...

While waiting for parts to arrive for that jet ski I've taken a little bit of a look at my other ski.

I did a compression test and on both cylinders they came back at 130. After directly entering fuel into the carb still no luck, what's the next step?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by UND3RxOATH View Post
    While waiting for parts to arrive for that jet ski I've taken a little bit of a look at my other ski.

I did a compression test and on both cylinders they came back at 130. After directly entering fuel into the carb still no luck, what's the next step?
    Things get confusing fast when more than one machine is discussed in a thread.

Post a separate thread for a different machine.

Do you have spark?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UND3RxOATH View Post

Things get confusing fast when more than one machine is discussed in a thread.

Post a separate thread for a different machine.

Do you have spark?
    I originally thought I had no spark, but apparently I do. I got home today and figured why not give it a shot to start it up. I tightened spark plugs, screwed the boots, and gave it a try. I pressed the bilge pump button to make sure it was functioning and I heard a faint sound, figures because this is a Freedom. After doing that I gave it at try to start and it spat out some water that was inside the hull. I started it up with the throttle down and it ran, but I cut it off quickly because I didn't want to risk damage. I almost felt like I was driving it. I haven't done anything to the ski to make this happen, thoughts? I do know that it will not stay idle for longer than 4-6 seconds.

I have my carb rebuild kit, but haven't gotten that far to work on it.

EDIT: Adding a video soon. I was able to hold idle for longer than 6 seconds without it cutting off. I was a dumb person and didn't select the fuel to ON. Although, I'm noticing a large rattle, any suggestions as to what it might be? I haven't had these things in the water at all, so it's possible they just need to be in the water. I'm being paranoid? Youtube should convert this to horizontal soon, I apologize.

Last edited by UND3RxOATH; 09-02-2016 at 06:17 PM.

+1
    Sounds like the normal Polaris jet pump rattle, maybe a bit louder with the camera right behind the ski.

Take the drain plugs out at the rear of the hull if there is water inside, then crank up the front of the trailer as high as you can get it. Keeping the hull very clean inside makes it much easier to not only work on it but also to see things that might not be quite right.

Sounds like the normal Polaris jet pump rattle, maybe a bit louder with the camera right behind the ski.

Take the drain plugs out at the rear of the hull if there is water inside, then crank up the front of the trailer as high as you can get it. Keeping the hull very clean inside makes it much easier to not only work on it but also to see things that might not be quite right.
    Smart idea on the trailer lift. I will do that tomorrow at some point. It's dirty in there regardless from the previous owner. Still doesn't make sense to me why it randomly decided to start firing today. I made the changes days ago.

Got some work done this morning. I was able to remove the carb and rebuild it. I took a few photos before I started working on it, any idea of what the yellow is? While looking around I realize I have this blueish clear line that hasn't been plugged into anything the whole time. I currently have another line that is longer than the one shown that is running near the fuel/water? separator at front. I have no idea the purpose of it and you'll notice the inside is pretty disgusting, I was able to remove almost all the water that was inside of the ski today. What's the best route of removing all the stick on the hull?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160903_10_27_37_Pro.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	87.3 KB 
ID:	397948   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160903_10_27_47_Pro.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	397950   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160903_10_27_56_Pro.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	397951   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160903_11_00_06_Pro.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	397952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20160903_12_53_44_Pro.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	100.1 KB 
ID:	397953  

+1
    Quick look at the hull photo;

I see a red wire running across from engine ground to a rusty bolt on the LR module. That is non-standard, especially the rusty bolt. That means other electrical things could be non-standard or not working as expected.

Old-school lead-acid Powersports batteries have a vent nipple. There is a clear tube that runs from a rubber hull vent fitting back to the battery area. If you are using the modern, recommended factory sealed AGM battery then the battery does not have a vent nipple and the battery vent hose can be coiled up and set aside.

That hull looks like it is stained blue from leaked 2-stroke oil. The hull can be cleaned with a combination of hot water, degreaser, scrubbing and several repeat cycles. If available I use a garden hose or high pressure washer with hot water. Tip the trailer up high, wrap the engine air intake with a plastic bag to keep water out. Lift and hold aside as many of the hoses and cables as possible, then go at it.

you may not be able to get all the blue stain removed but you can certainly make it look a lot better.

Once the bulk of the grease and grime is removed and drained out, you can mix regular household bleach with Simple Green (or similar) then spray it around inside the hull. Wear old clothes, an air mask and eye protection. Bleach is nasty stuff. Soak everything except the engine with bleach mixture, let it sit, spray again. Eventually you can wash and rinse it all out. This should get the foam and hull material quite clean.

Don't forget to squirt the hose directly under the engine area, mainly from front to back. This will help flush trapped stuff out from under the engine. Again, don't get cleaner into your eyes.
    Last edited by K447; 09-03-2016 at 05:05 PM.

+1
    Does this engine have the factory oil pump system installed and working? That blue tube could have been an oil hose

The yellow crusty stuff is probably crusty dried gasoline.

Does this engine have the factory oil pump system installed and working? That blue tube could have been an oil hose

The yellow crusty stuff is probably crusty dried gasoline.
    I've replaced the NAPA battery the original owner had with a PC625. It wasn't the old style like you mentioned. The original oil pump is installed and working, yes. I'm attaching two more photos for you. I've been slowly making progress on removing all the junk inside the ski.

Did you mean degreaser in the previous post?

Also, I would like to say thanks K447 for being such a huge help for me. I know there's a million questions being asked, but I rather do it right then not do it at all!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5563.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	397960   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5564.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	128.1 KB 
ID:	397961  
    Last edited by UND3RxOATH; 09-03-2016 at 05:01 PM.

+1

yup! mine sounds the same. +1 on that!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information