Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

PX300--Strange Sound During Tight Cornering?

Rode my ski for the first time tonight with following mods: Solas 13/18, IMUK, RIVA Air Intake, & Maptuner X Stage 2. Ski is running great, but compared to stock it's now making a strange "groaning" sound during tight corners at 20-25 mph and about 5,500 RPM. It also makes this slight shuttering/groaning sound when coming on plane in a straight line, too. Once on plane, the ski is smooth throughout all RPM ranges and has no vibrations. It's just a weird humming sound coming from the bottom of the ski in certain situations at like 20-30 mph and 5,500ish RPMS. Any ideas on what this is guys? My friend's 310R Kawasaki does this during tight cornering as well, maybe it's normal? I just don't think my PX300 was doing it until these mods.

+1
    Hey bud, it's the 13-18 prop, all three that I have installed do the same thing.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by quiddo15 View Post
    Hey bud, it's the 13-18 prop, all three that I have installed do the same thing.
    Thanks, that's kind of what I suspected. I just wanted to make sure this isn't some kind of precursor to the prop failing. My prop is post 1st batch so I should be good, right?

canadian iceman
    +1
    ALL 3 blade props for the 300's do this....i have 5 different props for my 2 300's and every one of them make this noise....it is actually wearing out the wear ring....if you remove the pump you will see....im diggin in on this because it appears all of my in hand props are not balanced...i hope im wrong but none have balancing marks on the hub....each wear ring is wore very un evenly and as mentioned these things make tons of noise due to the prop rubbing the wear ring.....anybody else want to comment on this???

+1
    I get the same thing in tight turning with my 3 blade 15/20 on my 260..

+1
    It's the engine loading up the drive shaft then loading up the prop putting more load on the pump ..

the stock engine mounts flex too much , since I fitted hard mounts it stopped ..

only happend on tight hairpin turns around the track ..but won't happen on a new ski as engine mounts still relatively hard ..

this did my head in , till I changed my mounts

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by connorrxp View Post
    I get the same thing in tight turning with my 3 blade 15/20 on my 260..
    Is the problem directly related to the impeller blade count or is something else going on?

Is it possible that the hull or driveline is flexing/twisting out of alignment during hard turning under power? There are a lot of forces at play with a strong engine spinning a high thrust jet pump with an angled steering nozzle.

canadian iceman
    +1
    Its very strange...i was freaked out by the noise and put the stock 4 blade bak in and back to quiet....installed a completely different skat 3 blade and same noise!!!...it literally humms as you rail corners...once you get straight and soften the engine/pump load is goes away......that said these 3 blade props are super super noisey at wide open throttle compared to a 4 blade..that is normal.....need to figure this out soon

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by IM2FAST4U View Post
    Its very strange...i was freaked out by the noise and put the stock 4 blade bak in and back to quiet....installed a completely different skat 3 blade and same noise!!!...it literally humms as you rail corners...once you get straight and soften the engine/pump load is goes away......that said these 3 blade props are super super noisey at wide open throttle compared to a 4 blade..that is normal.....need to figure this out soon
    Noisy when? During initial acceleration?

canadian iceman
    +1
    Yes under heavy load and moreso in the corners...i will pull the pump and shoot a pic of my wear ring

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information