Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2001 Virage 700 fuel line replacement (2 cylinder, red engine)

Any suggestions or videos on how to replace the fuel lines on a 2001 Virage 700 would be great to know.

I've been looking around on the forum to see if I can find any helpful hints or gotchas.

All I can find is replace the fuel lines if they are the gray ones (which they are), 25' of marine grade A1-15 rated fuel line will enough and to use oetiker clamps.

I have rather big hands and just looking at where some of the lines go I'm wondering how I'm even going to get them removed let alone clamped. Do I need to remove things (Fuel Valve, Separator, Fuel Sender) to gain better access?

There's a line that goes from the carb to the block under the intake manifold that I think I'll have to remove it to get to the line (the line isn't shown in my parts manual). Is that right?

And how do I get to the lines that go to the fuel shut off valve?

Any other hints, suggestions, warnings or gotchas will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Did you figure it out?

I'm a first time PWC owner so I had a major discovery yesterday - the front storage bucket comes out! Didn't know that until I started lifting on it. That gave me access to the fuel switch.

Also found that I could twist the hose enough so the hard to reach clamp screws would come to a position to undo them - even the block vent hose (that was the worst one).

Found that the recommended replacement hose is stiffer so getting the hose on some of the posts was a bit more difficult than others.

Was able to replace all the hoses. Now I'm working on getting it started. Cranked away on it and nothing happened. Checked the lines and found that I had the two to the carb switched. Re-positioned them to the correct locations and cranked away and still not starting. It must take a while to get the gas back moving (found this out as I watched the fuel slowly fill the water separator). It drained the battery so it's on the charger overnight. Haven't got back to it - maybe tomorrow.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    If you dribble a teaspoon or so of gasoline down the carb throat it will prime the engine and allow it to run for a few seconds. Remove the flame arrestor but stay clear of the area in case of backfire. Running the engine allows the fuel pump to work more vigorously. Prime it a couple of times and that should be enough to get fuel into the carb.

click

Quote Originally Posted by drgreen View Post
    I'm a first time PWC owner so I had a major discovery yesterday - the front storage bucket comes out! Didn't know that until I started lifting on it. That gave me access to the fuel switch.

Also found that I could twist the hose enough so the hard to reach clamp screws would come to a position to undo them - even the block vent hose (that was the worst one).

Found that the recommended replacement hose is stiffer so getting the hose on some of the posts was a bit more difficult than others.

Was able to replace all the hoses. Now I'm working on getting it started. Cranked away on it and nothing happened. Checked the lines and found that I had the two to the carb switched. Re-positioned them to the correct locations and cranked away and still not starting. It must take a while to get the gas back moving (found this out as I watched the fuel slowly fill the water separator). It drained the battery so it's on the charger overnight. Haven't got back to it - maybe tomorrow.
    Great to hear that. I'm going to be working on that sometime this week. How long would you say it took you?

Thanks worked like a charm on the first one but not the second virage. still trying to figure that one out. I think think I flooded it. started the first and second attempts but nothing thereafter. I'll try again this week (after I get the battery charged again).

took about 8 hours for the first virage and about 4 for the second.
    Part of that time was cleaning the carbs on each.
    I'm kind of a slow but thorough worker.
    I did find that my spark plug wire pliers were very helpful in getting the old ones off and a lot more helpful in getting the new hose on.

Still can't get the second one to fire - at all. I cleaned the plugs as they were a bit fouled and checked for spark and the both seem good. Any thoughts? I'll check yet again to make sure I have all the lines in the correct position. Puzzling as it first sputtered but now nothing. Even when I dribble some gas into the carburetor.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Battery voltage weak while cranking?

These red engines need a really strong battery or no spark.

oops...
    Last edited by drgreen; 09-14-2016 at 07:53 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information