+1

Fuel pump options?

Hi all,I'm converting a 2004 msx 140 to run on a genesis engine,got a tx1200 wiring harness in place,my question is can the vacuum pumps in the carbs suck fuel through the electric msx fuel pump? Or do I need to remove fuel pump?
    Many thanks..

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    You need to convert to a carburetor fuel feed without the electric fuel pump in the fuel tank. The Polaris Freedom (specific build date range) has the correct fuel sender to retrofit into the Virage Ficht fuel tank.

The normal carb fuel tanks have a sender with much smaller top fitting, but the Freedom had a production run using the larger top fitting, therefore perfect for what you want to do.

It is also possible to gut the Ficht electric fuel pump assembly and configure it for an carb-style fuel pick up with mesh inlet screen.

+1
    Thanks for the reply,it's really hard to get a freedom fuel pickup here in the UK,how do I convert the one I have to run the mesh style fiter?are there any links to follow?
    Thanks.

+1
    Only the 2004 Polaris Freedom has the correct drop-in fuel canister that has the pickups and fuel level sender that'll fit the MSX fuel tanks.

Converting an MSX fuel tank canister for pickup can be done... but you won't have a pickup for main and reserve... you'll only have one. While I've never done it... I'd think you would just need to pull the canister and remove the fuel pump. In its place, rig up a piece of pipe (gas safe) and connect it to the fuel pump hose and fit it into the filter below the pump and secure it in place. You'd want to ensure the pipe doesn't bottom-out in the filter or it would restrict sucking through the opening.

Cheers!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post

Converting an MSX fuel tank canister for pickup can be done...
    ... While I've never done it... I'd think you would just need to pull the canister and remove the fuel pump. In its place, rig up a piece of pipe (gas safe) and connect it to the fuel pump hose and fit it into the filter below the pump and secure it in place. You'd want to ensure the pipe doesn't bottom-out in the filter or it would restrict sucking through the opening.

Cheers!
    I have no idea whether the multi-stage fuel filtration system in the bottom of a Ficht fuel pump offers significantly more flow resistance than the factory carburetor fuel pick up sender.

In a carb engine the fuel pump is way back at the engine, it uses suction to pull fuel from the tank. Normally (on a stock carb model) there is nothing more than the open end of a small diameter tube near the bottom of the tank.

The fuel filter material in a Ficht fuel pump is supposed to reject water and only allow gasoline through.

I suppose you could also gut or puncture the filters in there...

It is possible to order the correct Freedom fuel sender unit and have it shipped to England.

+1
    Do you guys think this will do? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jetski-Fue...YAAOSwd4tT28I0
    Btw I had no idea there was a reserve tank on the msx!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskihowie View Post
    There is no reserve tank on MSX, not even a separate region in the main tank. The only thing is the warning on the dash display when fuel level falls to 1/8 remaining.

You can use that mesh intake screen (aka a fuel tank 'clunk') but the stock Polaris watercraft carb engine fuel inlet since the mid-1990s is just a straight metal tube, no filtering at all inside the tank.

+1
    Think i'm gonna go with flexible fuel pipe and the 'clunk' and secure it to the bottom of the filter.I take it the fpr becomes irrelevant once I've removed the electric pump?
    Thanks again.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetskihowie View Post
    Think i'm gonna go with flexible fuel pipe and the 'clunk' and secure it to the bottom of the filter.

I take it the fpr becomes irrelevant once I've removed the electric pump?
    Thanks again.
    Fuel pressure regulator must be removed from the fuel return fitting inside the pump body. There must be no restriction on return fuel flow into the tank.

Be sure to use fuel hose inside the fuel tank that is rated for continuous immersion in gasoline. Regular fuel hose is rated only for liquid gasoline inside, not continuous soaking of the outside surface of the hose material in gasoline.

+1
    Thanks again for your help.

Thread Information