Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sea-doo guy looking at an 1100 ZXI

Greetings and congrats on such a great forum, I look forward to getting to know it more.

I'm new to the jet ski world, I just picked up my first 2016 Spark (3 up) and I'm looking for something cheap and used that I can take friends out on. My friends with jet skis are all sea doo guys, and they know them very well, but no one knows the kawasaki brand.

So, I have a chance at a 2006 1100 ZXI for $800, which seems off, but the guy says it runs fine, and he's looking to use it in trade towards an explorer I'm selling.

I can't find any info on the 2006 ZXI, most of the posts I find are from the 90s. Assuming there is such a thing as a 2006 1100 ZXI, what can you guys tell me about it? Are they fun and reliable, more trouble than they're worth? Top speed, fuel usage? All things I've been trying to find with little luck.

Any comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Chadd

+1
    I want to say the last year for the 1100 ZXI was 2003, but I know for a fact they definitely didnt make them in 2006. The 1100 engine is known to be pretty reliable, but the hull design sucks and rides like crap.The jet pumps are where most people have issues with them. They are pretty quick ski's for what they are. I would ask to see a title on the ski, if it does in fact say 2006 then I would stay away because someone has tampered with the vin and its most likely stolen.

+1
    The ZXI 1100 was produced from '96-'03. Color will narrow it down. They were advertised as a two person ski, but that would be one adult and one infant! They do not like two people on them. They were the top of the line performance boat before the Ultra 150 was release. Top speed in stock form is about 54-57 on GPS, factory speedo runs about 10% high. They are fuel hogs when ridden hard, at full throttle the 16gal tank will last 1 hour. Get some pictures if you can (inside and out) and we can be of more help.

Thanks. He says it's red with purple detail, "the first year of the 1100".
    From some quick reading, that looks like the 1996 ZXI.

So, based on the red/purple color, does that match up?

And, if it's the 1996 ZXI, the same questions apply.

+1
    Widow maker hull, it will pitch you off at top speed when you least expect it. Had one, did all the updates and mods to correct the handling, still pitched me off by doing the hard right turn at full speed. Sold it. My 2 cents ... do NOT let your friends and family ride that ski.

Thanks, fellow michi-gander. I did find some posts on the 96 model specifically, that mention the hull design flaw you're mentioning. Seems like the 96 hull had a flaw that was only really 'fixed' in the 97 model.

Thanks again everyone.

+1
    I had a '96 1100 ZXi. It was fun! Not as much fun as the Ultra 150 for sure, but at the time it was the best thing I had ridden. It was very loose handling, would spin in an instant. I rode 2-up a lot and really didn't have much trouble with 300-350 pounds on it. The trim was troublesome that year.

There was a design problem with the hull/pump. DavidR can fill you in on a mod you can do to prevent overstuffing the pump and flipping it. I never had the problem.

If you buy it, you'll need to upgrade the oil lines and replace the bearings on the oil pump drive coupling.

+1
    It wasn't a hull problem, it was a 'pump stuffing' problem. Kawasaki fixed it by replacing the pump shoe with one that has two relief holes in it. If you never get it over 62mph (GPS) the 'death flip' will never happen. I've ridden mine plenty with zero issue. Everything else still applies and yes, it is a '96 if it has purple on it.

Bought one a few days ago.
    paid just under a grand, hour meter broke...body a bit rough. started good. 120 ish compression. Ran good up to 55-60 on flat water...burns a lot of gas. A half tank in a half hour. Smoked a piston in a half hour. If you buy it I suggest going to premix before you run it...

+1
    Replacing the oil lines and making sure the carbs are clean is the answer, premixing is a pain in the azz.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information