Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question RXP215 Sponson Removal - Advice Needed

Not sure if I'm missing something but I've just gone to swap the stock sponsons on my 2004 RXP215 for the ones from the later model and I presumed the bolts would be secured inside the hull but was surprised to see them spinning when I went to remove the nuts. Is there a trick to doing this or do I need to remove the water box and resonator to get to the bolts?

Anyone??

111 views and not one response

Put the nuts back in its just the torx bolt that you see from the outside

I definitely have nuts securing the sponsons on the outside and after checking it looks like nuts on the inside too. This surely isn't unique to my ski so can anyone advise the easiest way to undo them?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	357 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	397841  

+1
    go to this link

http://rivaracing.com/rt-3563-sea-doo.html

then look for RS26050 - RXP RXT GTX 4-TEC Pro-Series Sponson Kit and download the pdf. this are the instructions

for changing out sponsons on older models

6. +1 by:

Dude I just told you those nuts hold the threads into the hull you don't need to take them off.

He's thinking the nut is on the other end of the torx bolt when it is actually holding the insert in place the torx bolt threads into.

+1
    From past experience:

The 04 RXP uses a double ended fastener like shown in the pic, washer / nut inside the hull and washer / nut to hold the sponson on. The 05 and newer RXP and other models use a threaded insert in the hull which has a bolt on the inside and has female threads for the sponson fasteners to screw into. To use oem 05 sponsons on an 04 you need to either buy the 05 threaded inserts or use the 04 bolt with nuts and washers and grind the square part down ( Red line in pic ) so the sponson sits flush with the hull. The square part is too thick so the sponson will not contact the hull it will stand off about 1.5mm if I remember correctly.

This is my experience with installing 05 sponsons on an 04 RXP YMMV.

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	397999  

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    From past experience:

The 04 RXP uses a double ended fastener like shown in the pic, washer / nut inside the hull and washer / nut to hold the sponson on. The 05 and newer RXP and other models use a threaded insert in the hull which has a bolt on the inside and has female threads for the sponson fasteners to screw into. To use oem 05 sponsons on an 04 you need to either buy the 05 threaded inserts or use the 04 bolt with nuts and washers and grind the square part down ( Red line in pic ) so the sponson sits flush with the hull. The square part is too thick so the sponson will not contact the hull it will stand off about 1.5mm if I remember correctly.

This is my experience with installing 05 sponsons on an 04 RXP YMMV.
    Thanks Canuck! Thats the answer I was looking for

I presume the square part of the double ended fastener sits inside the back of the sponson and is designed to stop the thing turning when tightening or loosening the securing nuts? But when trying to remove the nuts on the outside the thread is turning with the nuts, any ideas?

*UPDATE:

Just found this pic on the net of the back of the sponson showing the double ended fastener in place. So why are my double ended fasteners turning when I try to remove the outside nut???

Name:	s-l1600.jpg 
Views:	295 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	398080  
    Last edited by RXP215-UK; 09-05-2016 at 05:15 AM.

+1
    Looking at the pic of the inside of your hull I would say rust is the culprit. Likely the nuts are seized & it is just twisting the square part of the fastener in the sponson. I think you are going to have to get to the nuts on the inside & remove the sponson that way & then replace the hardware & sponsons or go with aftermarket. Just my 2 cents.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information