Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

300 tx engine removal

Any tips or tricks for pullin a 300tx engine? Other than the "inverted" torx sockets, any special tools needed? I purchased the shop manual and it seems pretty straight forward. Just figured somebody on here can give me a heads up on somethen to make it easier.

+1
    Make sure to tape around the hull. It helps keeping your arms free of fiberglass and if you hit it with the engine prevents gel coat scratches and chips.

3. +1 by:

+1
    how about the tool to hold/move the hat on the drive shaft
    and alignment tool to put the motor back in straight

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by skidoochris View Post
    On the hat, I always turn it first with some channel locks to free it up...then I have always been able to slide it back by hand, then use a pocket screw driver to pop the c-clip off. Patience is key....something I don't have much of, lol.

+1
    Shouldn't need the alignment tool if you don't remove the motor mounts from the hull. That being said, I would still check it before and after just to know where it is. I've pulled motors in and out/swapped motors and never an issue with alignment if the motor mounts aren't loosened.

I'd buy the hat pull back tool...just makes it so easy.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    since a member was hurt lifting an engine recently, let's say that you want to be sure your lifting apparatus is up to snuff and you acknowledge respect for what a couple of hundred pounds of engine can do to your hand should it be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I like taking lots of pictures or video when I'm pulling apart something for the first time, just to make sure all the right bits go back into the right places.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post
    Shouldn't need the alignment tool if you don't remove the motor mounts from the hull. That being said, I would still check it before and after just to know where it is. I've pulled motors in and out/swapped motors and never an issue with alignment if the motor mounts aren't loosened.

Depends how good you want it to be. The engine mount holes are large enough for the engine to shift around where it would not allow the alignment tool shaft to slide into the PTO portion.

When I was aligning my engine I had the mounts bolted down early on, then it was just shifting it around ontop of the mounts/shims to get it fine tuned.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    since a member was hurt lifting an engine recently, let's say that you want to be sure your lifting apparatus is up to snuff and you acknowledge respect for what a couple of hundred pounds of engine can do to your hand should it be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I like taking lots of pictures or video when I'm pulling apart something for the first time, just to make sure all the right bits go back into the right places.

I lifted one out by hand a while back (cylinder head was removed).... I don't recommend doing this.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ptscon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DinoMite View Post

Depends how good you want it to be. The engine mount holes are large enough for the engine to shift around where it would not allow the alignment tool shaft to slide into the PTO portion.

When I was aligning my engine I had the mounts bolted down early on, then it was just shifting it around ontop of the mounts/shims to get it fine tuned.

Right, I generally like to just pound the alignment tool in with mallet and call it day .

I agree the adjustment is at the bottom of the mount(don't touch those unless you want to adust alignment). If he just takes out the bolt on the top of the mount holding the engine to the mount, the alignment should be the same as where it was when he took the engine out unless I suppose the mount is going bad/starting to sag. There is no adjustability of the engine at the top of the mount, at least on the previous generation PX/TX. I haven't looked at the PX300 mounts that close.

+1
    All very good points and will help. I'll try not to disturb the mounts, and as for hoisting the engine, personal safety is #1. Plenty of experience hoisting and rigging elevators/escalators. I read that the intake Manifold has to come off. Which appears true. Any unforeseen issues taking that off?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information