OUCH! Ran a ground, sucked rocks, need advice please!

Trying not to get royally pissed & keep this in check...

Yesterday my daughter apparently ran a ground my 2013 GTR 215 & likely sucked up some rocks. She limped back to the beach area saying that "it makes loud noises when it gets to 4 (mph)" and "it sounds like there are rocks in there".

I towed it back with my boat & didn't want to even look at it on the water. Nor did I even want to start it to hear as I was sick about it all. When I got home, I saw some light scrapes & gouges on hull as it was now on the trailer. When I looked up into the intake, saw nothing really suspect. Basically just saw the shaft.

Now what? Throw myself at mercy of the dealer? Is the impeller is likely ruined & needs replacement? I'm fairly handy as long as there is a youtube video. (I have already removed IBR & changed pump oil using 3ftdeep's video).

It's a short season in Upstate NY so this really sucks...guessing season is over by the time this is straightened out. Thanks in advance for any help.

PS i have full insurance coverage on ski & it's under warranty until June 2017 for what it matters.

+1
    Take a picture up though the grate looking at the impeller and post it up for us to look at. If bottom is scratched through the gel coat to the fiberglass you should probably get that repaired as well.

+1
    Chances are high the wear ring will need replacing for sure. It doesn't take much for it to not work the way its attended. If it starts up and sounds fine but as soon as you give it throttle she starts vibrating and not really going the wear ring is shot. Kind of sounds like that if she was able to go 4 MPH and anything more it just made a lot of noise.

You can do the work yourself. Just leave a good day open to do it for the first time. It isn't very difficult you can search on here or on youtube and find videos and the parts you need to order. Starting with nothing but your tools at home expect to spend around $250 for various parts. I believe that is about what I spent when I did it.

If you need a prop that will be more then and you'll need special tools you can buy from Jerry's store here. I say you got about a 50/50 shot on needing an impeller if a just a quick look through the pump shows no obvious issue. You can raise the IBR and look in there.

Bottom who knows till you inspect it.
    Last edited by skylolow; 08-30-2016 at 07:26 AM.

+1
    Replacing a wear ring and a prop is not hard at all and can be done with some basic tools. 13mm and 10mm a vise and prop tool.

Quote Originally Posted by skylolow View Post
    You can raise the IBR and look in there.
    OK, when I get home tonight from work I will raise the IBR & look in there. Funny, I changed the pump grease to oil a few months ago & although I wasn't looking for it, I don't recall seeing the impeller. But again, I wasn't looking & only focused on the pump cone at the time.

If my impeller needs replacing, if anyone has recommendation for an impeller upgrade, I'd appreciate it. I know I can search it but my spare time is sparse lately. Think Solas is popular brand? Pitch, part number?

Edit: This seems to be a good replacement option...
    https://www.amazon.com/Solas-Concord...rz-cd-14%2F19a

Update- My insurance agent (Allstate) thinks this damage may be covered as I have full coverage. So I'm hoping my $100 deductible gets me out of this mess.

Also, I raised the IBR & defintely saw dings on the impeller. What really scares me is when I fired her up, the loud clacking sound that came out. I'm fearing the shaft is bent too after hearing that horrible sound. Anyway, going to hope for the best with the insurance coverage.

Looks like I lucked out...Dealer says rock damaged the impeller & wear ring only. $600 total. Phew

Quote Originally Posted by Davesavvy View Post
    Looks like I lucked out...Dealer says rock damaged the impeller & wear ring only. $600 total. Phew
    That's all it'll ever be when you suck up rocks. Only difference is sometimes you can pay to have Impros repair the impeller vs buying a new one. I live in the desert....I've been through this a couple of times. Also, buy the stainless wear ring, not the OEM plastic one.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davesavvy View Post
    Also, buy the stainless wear ring, not the OEM plastic one.
    Are you sure this is sound advise? Sometimes you suck up sand and small stones rather than rocks. Better in that case to sacrifice a plastic wear ring than an impeller? If you suck up rocks, you have the potential to damage the stainless wear ring (which now isn't really a wear ring is it?)

Quote Originally Posted by BobRae99 View Post
    Are you sure this is sound advise? Sometimes you suck up sand and small stones rather than rocks. Better in that case to sacrifice a plastic wear ring than an impeller? If you suck up rocks, you have the potential to damage the stainless wear ring (which now isn't really a wear ring is it?)

Haha, yea....I'm sure. I used used the OEM when I first bought my ski and I've used the stainless ring now for about 8yrs or more. I live in the desert. I've sucked up rocks with both rings. Apparently you haven't used them both, so that makes my advice more sound than yours. This debate has taken place at least a few times before. I don't recall ever reading that anyone tried the stainless and "hated it". Also, Greenhulk is the guy who told me years ago to "buy stainless and never look back!" I haven't looked back and never will, even in this rock filled desert.

Thread Information