Question 1996 Polaris SLT 780 CDI compatibility / availablility

Hey Everyone,

I have a 1996 SLT 780 and i suspect the CDI is dead (no spark). I will be running more tests in this upcoming week. I have pictures of the current CDI but as i'm looking for new ones the last letter of the serial changes from A to B to C on different models. I was wondering if this was just an indication of updates done to the CDI or different models that are not compatible with one another (is there a compatibility list posted? Not sure how to match it to the magneto since i have never taken the magneto out of the ski). Also does anyone have a reputable seller that i could obtain a replacement from?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160801_174540.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	397465  

+1
    magnetos are all the same for 780's & 750's, the different numbers on the CDI are for different models, the SLX's used a little more aggressive timing curve than the SLT's did, I have tried both & didn't really notice any difference. I do have a good one with the same number you have pictured if you need one. They generally don't fail unless the battery terminals are shorted by forgetting to put the plastic cover on top of the battery before installing the electrical box on top of it, in which case the magneto
    (stator assembly) will also be fried.

3. +1 by:

Thanks man!

Luckily i have a second identical ski i just pulled so i can swap the CDI and make sure its my problem, However, in my last post

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=1996+polaris

i have done all the research and testing i could do and even thought everyone says the CDI's rarely fail everything i do is pointing to it. If you could take a quick look over my readings it would be greatly appreciated. From what i believe, i have a bad capacitors in the CDI, It starting by losing a cylinder for a month to stalling and not starting for an hour or so then it went to all out loss of spark. This same ski had bad CAPS in the display unit as well, i took it apart and a few of them exploded. I just got my hands on 3 spare displays that were ripped out of skis i still need to test/fix them if i can. What would you be looking to get for the CDI in the event the CDI swap proves my theory I would like to try to have my pair up and running for the holiday weekend for the family but we'l see what happens.

Thanks man!

Luckily i have a second identical ski i just pulled so i can swap the CDI and make sure its my problem, However, in my last post

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...t=1996+polaris

i have done all the research and testing i could do and even thought everyone says the CDI's rarely fail everything i do is pointing to it. If you could take a quick look over my readings it would be greatly appreciated. From what i believe, i have a bad capacitors in the CDI, It starting by losing a cylinder for a month to stalling and not starting for an hour or so then it went to all out loss of spark. This same ski had bad CAPS in the display unit as well, i took it apart and a few of them exploded. I just got my hands on 3 spare displays that were ripped out of skis i still need to test/fix them if i can. What would you be looking to get for the CDI in the event the CDI swap proves my theory I would like to try to have my pair up and running for the holiday weekend for the family but we'l see what happens.

Thread Information