1997 Polaris 1050 SL just not running right

I have a 1997 Polaris 1050 SL that just is not running right. With the throttle full open I can only reach 30 MPH. The engine sounds fine until I reach about 3/4 throttle then it kind of sputters as it runs. I just rebuilt the carb and replaced all the old fuel lines. It did not improve the performance. I have pulled each spark plug wire off one at a time as it runs; they all seem to be firing. I repaired the MFD so the display is brighter. The display has a red flashing light when running. I know the MFD may have some problems because it tells me I have no fuel all the time, So I am not sure if I should trust the red flashing light. It may be due to the false fuel levels. I have unplugged the MFD. Anyone have any thoughts?

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Did unplugging the MFD have any effect on the engine problem?

Disconnect one spark plug and ground it to the engine. Does the engine run about the same or worse? If worse, reconnect that plug and disconnect another. Again, does it run the same or worse?

What you are looking for is a cylinder that when disconnected has the least negative effect. That cylinder is not running properly. If all three cylinders have the same degree of 'worseness' when disconnected then the problem is not one cylinder but something that is affecting the entire engine.

+1
    Inside the electrical box, look for a Tan or Gray wire that runs from the CDI module to the terminal board, with a flat tab connector. Disconnect that single wire and set it aside. See if the engine now runs better.

The Tan/Brown or Gray wire (depends on the CDI version) with flat connector is the RPM limiter signal.

Do not disconnect a gray wire with bullet inline connector. That is a different thing.

Disconnecting the MFD had no effect on the way it runs. I did not ground the spark plug cables when I pulled them. I'll see if that makes a difference. Forgot to mention the compression on the cylinders was 120, 115, 120.

Good call K447. The last time I was in the electrical box and closed it back up I crushed the gray wire between the two box halves putting it back together. I repaired the short in the wire I made. Just had it out on the water and it runs top speed again! I am my own worst enemy. Thanks K447!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by walimu View Post
    ... crushed the gray wire between the two box halves putting it back together. I repaired the short in the wire I made. Just had it out on the water and it runs top speed again! ...
    Glad you got it working

For the false Low Fuel warning, you can temporarily cancel the warning by unplugging the single pink wire from the fuel tank sender, inside the electrical box. That will isolate the fuel signal and there will be no warning and no fuel level display.

A better fix is to replace the fuel float. These are known to become 'gas logged' and no longer float properly, causing a incorrect low fuel reading regardless of how much fuel is in the tank. There is a replacement float available.

Thanks for the MFD advice. Another reason I disconnected it was because the clock was always on and it drained my battery. It never went into hibernation mode. Is there a fix for that?

+1
    Thanks for the MFD advice. Another reason I disconnected it was because the clock was always on and it drained my battery. It never went into hibernation mode. Is there a fix for that?
    Sleep mode always displays the clock. The digital display never goes 'blank' on a Polaris.

You can tell whether it is sleeping by what is showing on the screen. A sleeping MFD looks different than an awake unit.

Click my signature links, then look on the MFD section for more info and video links.

Are you sure the MFD display was draining the battery, not some other thing that you changed or fixed?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Inside the electrical box, look for a Tan or Gray wire that runs from the CDI module to the terminal board, with a flat tab connector. Disconnect that single wire and set it aside. See if the engine now runs better.

The Tan/Brown or Gray wire (depends on the CDI version) with flat connector is the RPM limiter signal.

Do not disconnect a gray wire with bullet inline connector. That is a different thing.
    Good call K447. The last time I was in the electrical box and closed it back up I crushed the gray wire between the two box halves putting it back together. I repaired the short in the wire I made. Just had it out on the water and it runs top speed again! I am my own worst enemy. Thanks K447!

Awesome!!! Love it when it all appears to work out !!!

Thread Information