+1

Ignition coil, Mpem and trigger coil

I am working on a 2000 RX (951) that has no spark. I have tested trigger voltage and VOM does not register anything ac voltage when cranking on the black/yellow and white yellow out of the stator cover. I also do not have any 12v at the coils when turning over the engine. Grounds test good at coils. Before I start pulling exhaust and stator cover off, does the Mpem not activate coils until it receives Trigger coil volts?

I suspect the coil is bad, which I've never experience, or maybe the flywheel, or stater bendix has deposited some foreign material on the trigger.

What say you experts?

+1
    Did you test with an analogue meter? Digital meters will not pick up the small AC current

+1
    Yes, I used Digital. Also open circuit across the poles.

+1
    If you have an open circuit across the trigger coil when you do an OHM test the coil is definitely bad. Pull the stator and have a look... it's not a lot of fun on those skis.

+1
    Update. First I was incorrect in my readings. I made a mistake and tapped into the wrong wires. I do have .2vac on the trigger which means It's good. I get a spark for a few cycles and then no spark at all for maybe 10 revolutions the spark again. Sort of random.

Replaced the Mpem with 98 GTX. Spark good all the time now. It runs, but haven't buttoned up the exhaust yet. Appears to have been the Mpem. Not sure what the difference between the two Mpem as they have different numbers. But all the gauges and VTS works. We shall see. More to come.

+1
    So here we go again. I thought it was running well on the hose, but it appears I have no spark on PTO cylinder. I am getting no voltage to the coil. I am getting voltage and spark on the front cylinder. Since I have no history on this machine, I've got to go back to basics. Can I assume that since I have 12volts on one coil and corresponding spark, that the trigger coil it good?

If so, then I am looking at either the MPEM again or perhaps the stator/magnets? I am not sure if the stator is correct one for this year. Was there a difference with the stator for like the 98 model using a single coil? Maybe I am not getting the volts due to a wrong stator or mag.

You cannot use a 98 MPEM on a 99 and later 951 engine. It is a single coil setup, the 99 and newer has dual coil.

You need to find a 99+ MPEM...

+1
    That's correct. I miss wrote. It was replaced with one off a 2000 GTX not 1998. I'll need to confirm the part number though to be sure. I think maybe mag cup is off maybe. Strange though it runs so well on one cylinder. If the cup was misaligned, would it still run? Worried, it's the MPEM....

+1
    I was told the mpem was from a 2000, but looking at the number 278001305 it must have come off a GSX with single coil. So I am on the hunt again for a 278001526

Thread Information