Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Polaris Genesis Resonator Bypass

Hello all. I picked up a 2002 Genesis as a "no start". The guy told me there was a major backfire on the ski. I confirmed the EMM needed repaired, sent it out. When I got the ski running I found that the hull would fill up with smoke. It didn't take long to find the the right resonator was cracked in multiple places.
    Getting the right resonator out was a major pain. Had to cut Styrofoam, stretch, pull and just muscle the thing out. Not fun. It looked to be just as much work to install a new resonator, and $75, so i decided to bypass both resonators. I used the two 3" hoses that were part of the exhaust system, cut them to fit and spliced them together.
    I took a piece of 3" flue vent. The kind for a hot water tank. Cut a piece about 4" long, crimped both sides, and used it as a coupler.

I had to be careful to make sure I had enough room for the rear storage bucket. After a couple of modifications, It worked out well. Its a little louder, but not bad. I still have to take it on the water, but sounds ok in the garage. I hope that the hose goes up high enough to not let water from the lake backflow into the exhaust system when stopped. I should have gone a little higher bit I think it will be ok. Also, dont even mess with the left resonator. Its too hard to remove. Leave it alone. Here are some more pics of the project. I hope this helps someone in the same situation.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2740.jpg 
Views:	238 
Size:	46.2 KB 
ID:	397401   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2741.jpg 
Views:	372 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	397402   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2742.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	397403   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2743.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	397404  

+1
    I personally love resonator bypasses, but please… Please do yourself a favor and get rid of that 3 inch flue vent pipe. It's galvanized metal and most likely 26 gauge… Very few people get 24 gauge or 22 gauge that's silver. I don't care if it's galvanized, it will eventually corrode and it is much too thin to be doing what you're doing with it safely. Please go here http://www.speedymetals.com/c-8371-category.aspx and get yourself the correct diameter and length of aluminum tubing that you need. It is a fantastic website that is super super easy to navigate. I have dealt with them on numerous occasions and they ship promptly and are fairly inexpensive. Just bite the bullet and do it now before you sink your ski and possibly put yourself in a perilous situation.

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the advice. I thought galvanized would last. I will look for something else soon.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Harsax13 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I thought galvanized would last. I will look for something else soon.
    It is not galvanized where the edges are cut. And the folded seam can trap water and corrode.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Isnt the exhaust outlet 2.75 outer diameter. I would think the 3 inch would be tough to get a water tight seal back there. The rubber crossover pipe is 3 inch i.d. but the last pipe off the resonator was 2.75 i.d on my 2001.

+1
    Harsax13. If it would help I have a foot of 3in o.d. 1/8 wall pipe leftover from my bypass. It is pretty cheap to get. The cut cost me more than the pipe. Pm me and I would mail it to you.

+1
    Ok so I accomplished a resonator bypass on my 2003 Genesis. I was able to make the connection without new joints by cutting the exhaust hose to fit, at the slight bend about 6 inches from the end. Only issue is some interference with the storage bucket. Not sure what I will do about that (if anything).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160902_153433.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	397820

Name:	20160902_155254.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	397821

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    While you are in working in there you might want to check the through-hull for wear.

The gear clamp for your through-hull also needs to be much closer to the front end of the stubby hose.

The large metal cover that Genesis uses to hide the through-hull and driveshaft coupler I find to be a huge nuisance. I remove it and leave it out. Be sure all the hoses and cables are well secured, then it will be fine. So much nicer to be able to see down there, inspect and lube.

I also found lots of small lost parts hiding in the rear bottom of the hull, and more under the engine.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by HiPeRcO View Post
    Ok so I accomplished a resonator bypass on my 2003 Genesis. I was able to make the connection without new joints by cutting the exhaust hose to fit, at the slight bend about 6 inches from the end. Only issue is some interference with the storage bucket. Not sure what I will do about that (if anything).

Name:	20160902_153433.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	397820

Name:	20160902_155254.jpeg 
Views:	46 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	397821
    nice job,the local auto store has couplers and adapters for fitting hoses together in a strong fashion

+1
    Thanks, but no couplers are necessary

The hose has compressed enough where the storage bucket presses on it to the point that I declare the interference with the bucket is no longer a concern.

But DAMN this thing is loud now, especially as a passenger. I might have to see about rigging at least one resonator back into the system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information