95 Kawasaki 750 STS Trim Question

I'm a new PWC owner as of two days ago and joined the forum after researching the issue I'm having with my 750 STS. I know this is something that has been brought up but I've found that there is not a whole lot of information. I'm currently waiting for my Selco manual to arrive but thought I would ask the forum.

I purchased this 95 750 STS after being told that it did not have "trim" control due to the model being a base model however after researching the internet I found the trim control motor assembly. It looks damn near brand new, no corrosion, no water inside the housing. I pulled the connectors apart and used a voltmeter, which showed it had power 6-8 volts while the engine was off but I've read the motor has to be running for the trim to work. So if that true I need to test it again. From my understanding, being that the inside of the trim assembly looks new it could be the motor is bound up. When I press trim "up" or "down" I don't hear any sounds from the trim assembly. This makes me believe the trim sensor or trim control is bad. I checked the fuse and it was fine. Can someone confirm the motor must be running to get power to the trim motor and can someone inform me of anything else I should check? I've attached photos of the trim assembly for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1994.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	277.1 KB 
ID:	397383

Name:	IMG_1999.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	337.6 KB 
ID:	397384

+1
    Welcome aboard, Ryan! That's the cleanest looking hull I've seen--especially for a boat that old!

Those things can be a real pain. Water can get in through the cable that goes to the back, as well as leaking past the O-ring on the box when the 'Ski gets water in it. Yours does appear to be in above average condition.

Yes, the engine must be running, you must bump the starter. The trim should work for a period of 10 seconds or so, then will shut down until you bump the start switch again, or you actually start the engine.

Some things that can keep it from working include: corrosion of the cable, magnets coming loose in the motor, corrosion of the worm gear; as well as worn motor brushes and other electrical issues.

This thread may help you with cable lubrication, if the cable can be salvaged: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=245685 After you lube it, install a bellows seal on it, Kawasaki # 49016-3702. Pack some waterproof grease in it before installing it on the trim cable and secure both ends with tie-wraps.

To keep from damaging the O-ring when putting the box back together, slide a putty knife around the edge as you work the top back on.

Make sure you carefully inspect & secure the oil lines! Better yet, just replace them with polyurethane hose and secure them with stainless steel safety wire. The original hose will get brittle and crack with age.

+1

95 Kawasaki 750 STS Trim Question

My ZXI doesn't have to run for the trim to work, just turn the key on.

You may have a small wire, black w/red tracer some where near the battery (not sure on your model) make sure that wire is on the negative battery terminal.

Name:	Image1472254062.666034.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	332.5 KB 
ID:	397400

Thank you for the information, I find it very useful and have some direction now. Hopefully I can get this working.

+1
    The STS doesn't have a key. The start button is hot whenever you put the lanyard in.

+1
    That makes sense then

Well I lost motivation to trouble shoot the trim motor however I did find several new trim motors online for a fraction of the price that Kawasaki wants. Has anyone used an aftermarket trim motor to repair the trim function on their PWC?

+1
    Problem is it may not be the motor. The trim control module is a weak link. There has to be voltage at the gray signal wire. 2-4 volts with engine running. If that voltage exists, the problem could be over travel of the motor, the control module, or the motor. If you pull the cover you can apply voltage to the motor to check it.
    Another thing is that if your gauges are not working, it is a high probability the module is gone. If everything is dead, you can apply 12v to the orange wire momentarily to adjust the trim to the neutral position.
    I have attached the sts 750 supplement. This info is not in any other jetski pdf that I have or have seen. I got this straight from Kawasaki.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails JT750b2supplement.pdf  

Thread Information