1997 Gtx Eating Rave valves

Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share a little story about our 2-stroke 787 GTX that had a problem again and again and again. We got our 97 GTX back in 2012 and let me say this...It keeps eating Rave valves. They keep breaking off and not just the "OLD style" or "SBT" rave valves, OEM BRP Slotted ones two.

We had the motor rebuilt three times, (Full rebuild three years ago), then top end rebuild two years ago, and then another top end a year ago because the rave valves keep cracking and then they get trapped in the cylinder and ruin it.

Now, what really set me off was yesterday. The ski has been running great, I think we get it up to 56/57 MPH, nothing seemed mechanically wrong, but I noticed that there was some oil coming out of where the rave valves are. Obviously this was alarming and I wanted it to be fixed. (Note: this had the block off oil kit) I went ahead and started to take of the rave valves and to my surprise the one was cracked again! It has been 20 hours since our last top end rebuilt. Why does this keep happening?! At the end of the day, this was my dads last straw and now we have another 4 stroke in our family.

Side note: My parents own a honda aquatrax and a Yamaha VXR previously owned this 97 gtx and 98 GSX limited. I am the only one now that owns a sea-doo (08 RXT 215).

Just wanted to share! I'll attach a picture later that my dad took of the rave valve....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	13935084_10210305799181822_5362742537002905328_n.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	396223  

+1
    Whoever did the engine work screwed up, the valve blades have to be clearanced to fresh pistons every time the cylinders are cleaned up and piston size increases. A worn housing bore will compound the problem by allowing more slop in the stem fit and reach of the blade.

3. +1 by:

did a reputable shop work on it?

Quote Originally Posted by nibroc View Post
    did a reputable shop work on it?
    I believe so. I mean the guy owns his shop and always has 20-40 PWCs outside his workshop. He also went to sea doo school down in florida apparently.

+1
    20-40 PWCs sitting outside his shop is a bad sign... Just saying, having a bunch of junk sitting around is not a credible situation. That means there is stuff he doesn't know how to fix, cant fix, doesn't have time to fix, and that customers are waiting forever or have given up...

As mentioned above it sounds like the sloppy rave housings and bad assembly or wrong housings got this one... several times.

Do your research on the RXT, read all the sticky threads in the 4Tec section and download a shop manual and you will have years of trouble free fun. Keep up with the supercharger rebuilds and don't trust the previous owner about what has been done to the SC unless there are believable receipts to prove the SC has been rebuilt in the last 100hrs or 2-3 years.

7. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    20-40 PWCs sitting outside his shop is a bad sign... Just saying, having a bunch of junk sitting around is not a credible situation. That means there is stuff he doesn't know how to fix, cant fix, doesn't have time to fix, and that customers are waiting forever or have given up...

As mentioned above it sounds like the sloppy rave housings and bad assembly or wrong housings got this one... several times.

Do your research on the RXT, read all the sticky threads in the 4Tec section and download a shop manual and you will have years of trouble free fun. Keep up with the supercharger rebuilds and don't trust the previous owner about what has been done to the SC unless there are believable receipts to prove the SC has been rebuilt in the last 100hrs or 2-3 years.
    More or less, this was my dads ski. I have always been mechanically inclined in the car field but that is a little different than the PWCs.

I don't think the guy is shoddy, however, the people he has working for him are the real problem I believe. I wanted to drop a new motor in ourselves but my dad didn't want to do that. Unfortunately that is how it goes sometimes. They purchased a Yamaha VRX w/ 5 year warranty so I am glad they will be worry free for awhile. (Fingers crossed)

And yes, speaking of my RXT, I have just changed the oil and checked the slip on the supercharger. I got a tad under 90 total hours on the ski, and will be rebuilding the supercharger in the off-season. Glad the info shown on here has helped with that process. One day I hope to get another GSX. Love those skis.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    being experienced and having the right experience are two different things.

Doubtful he knows a whole lot about raves seeing that my first thought looking at the thread and pic was that the engine was bored and the raves weren't shaved.

One of the reasons I'm just about done doing any kind of two stroke work is the wear levels of these older skis. Large numbers of them in the last two years here need more money poured onto the fire then they are worth. Who spends $1500 on a ski with a $800 book value?

Besides the debris in your engine now, its likely the jugs have to be replaced and the raves since the slot is way to worn for the engine to work correctly ( oil from the reaves is a sure sign of excessive wear caused by cheap injector oil and lack of proper maintenance(clean raves every 30-50 hours).

Local competitor had over 100 skis in his yard for "show"..when he closed up, they all went into a dumpster,sure as shit convinced a whole lot of people he was just so good, that he was backed up all the time and they'd be lucky to get in there. Most mid 90's skis, with no trailers. Sure sign of a hack shop. I got tired dealing with some of the things he did that cuased folks even more trouble down the road, and they sure expected me to fix it fast and cheap. Sorry.

Even I picked up quite a few yard queens over the last five years. People are quick to say do it, but when payup times comes....and some of these skis..well not worth filing a lein on.

These days my two stroke work for new customers is keys, jetpumps and electrics..not touching anything else.

I just replaced the tires on my personal truck after a blowout. Yeah I'm an idiot, Id didn't realize that driving in 100 degree weather at 75mph with 15 years old tires wasn't such a good idea ( but dam they had a whole lot of tread left on them). Same deal doing a carb rebuild on a seadoo with 15 year old crank seals.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information