2008 F15X greasing the shaft bearing, too much grease?

Hey guys need some help here....I have recently acquired a 2008 F15X with 90 hrs. I have also and F12X which i've owned for past 7 trouble free years. My question is, when greasing the shaft bearing through the zirk fitting in rear in the F12, I pump the grease with the grease gun until it "ribbons" out underneath from where the shaft goes into the hull. (as numerous past posts suggested is the proper procedure for the F12). I have tried doing the same in my recently acquired F15, and after about 10-15 pumps nothing came out the bottom. I did not want to blow the seal so I stopped. Does the same procedure apply to the F15x as in the F12x when greasing the shaft bearing?? is it the same shaft assembly in the F15 as the F12?? I hope I did not cause any damage or have too much grease in there and possibly cuause damage when i run it.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! (called the local dealer here to get some answers however the dealer did not even know there is a grease fitting on the F15X LOL)

+1
    The thru hull fitting & bearings are identical in both skis, I have never filled them till grease comes out, just put about 4 pumps in every oil change (25 hours).

3. +1 by:

Arrow :)

Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post
    The thru hull fitting & bearings are identical in both skis, I have never filled them till grease comes out, just put about 4 pumps in every oil change (25 hours).
    Thank you for a prompt reply!
    I wonder if I messed anything by getting trigger happy and pumping at least 10 times with the grease gun.....
    Is there an excess purge valve on that bearing? There is the gray hose with the nipple for loading the grease and there is another black hose which is also part of the bearing housing closer to the engine side but in close proximity to the gray hose valve... It seems the black hose goes under the mpem and fuse box right next to the battery... Is that the excess grease purge valve???

Thank you again! So far I absolutely love the F15, its a shame they are a thing from the past

+1
    I believe you are correct that it is a bleed/purge hose but only used by the factory, someone may correct me on this
    Yip it's a shame Honda stopped making skis, they will never be the fastest but great reliable and very strong hulls (riding my FXSHO afterwards you can feel it flex ), and I believe the only ski to challenge ultras in man water lol (be a beast with ultras 300 bhp).

+1
    Friend of mine owns a 2009 F-15X and has water coming into the hull, which seems like it squirting up while under a load riding from that gray hose you all are do you discussing earlier in the earlier post ^. Hard to tell if the hose is torn or the barb fitting is cracked down need the bearing/shaft area. Anyone have any idea if water should even be running through that area? It’s sprays up a nice like shower for sure. He’s concerned about having water spraying the engine compartment while riding in saltwater for sure. Any help thanks

+1
    What type of grease are you using?
    Quote Originally Posted by MattD View Post

What type of grease should I be putting into the zirk fitting? I have a F12X

+1
    I used the same bearing grease I used in my trailer hubs the whole time I had my f12. Never any problems

Thread Information